OAT Probe Location

mikey757

Installing a new monitor. Anyone have a good idea for the installed location of the OAT probe on a J model. Thought of the side of the lower cowl but not thrilled about it sticking out there and would have to come up with a way to disconnect it when removing the cowl. Appreciate the input.

Assuming your J has one, install it in the first oval inspection plate in front of the fuel tank.  The aileron push rod lies above that inspection plate so make sure it doesn't interfere.  Also, make sure you don't remove the oval inspection plate that is part of the fuel tank.    The one I'm talking about is close to the fuselage (wing root) and leading edge.  In our C model, running the wires down through the wing root was a snap.

IMG_2103.JPEG

• Like 1

Mine is installed in the NACA air inlet just forward of the door.  My OAT always reads about five degrees high.  I have a ole school mechanical gauge in my windscreen for comparison.  Agree with staying away from the cowl.  A wing location would be better.  

Mine is installed in the NACA air inlet just forward of the door.  My OAT always reads about five degrees high.  I have a ole school mechanical gauge in my windscreen for comparison.  Agree with staying away from the cowl.  A wing location would be better.  

With JPI 900 ( and possibly others) you can go into settings and adjust the OAT and MAP readings as necessary to compensate for your installation.

Not sure which monitor you are installing but check the STC. It will probably specify where you can install it. The Garmin manual for the G5 is somewhat restrictive for lightning protection but allows install in an access panel while the JPI manual states to not install it in access panel. Go figure....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing this now on a K.  Installing on the 'pop riveted in' panel outboard of the fuel tank, just like the OEM probe.  One on the RHS for the JPI, one on the LHS for the  Garmin.  It's a lot of work, but I think it is worth getting away from the fuselage and the leading edge, as per the Garmin installation drawings.

I have spare JPI OAT probes with 18' wires if anyone needs one.

Aerodon

On 11/22/2022 at 3:48 PM, mikey757 said:

Installing a new monitor. Anyone have a good idea for the installed location of the OAT probe on a J model. Thought of the side of the lower cowl but not thrilled about it sticking out there and would have to come up with a way to disconnect it when removing the cowl. Appreciate the input.

Garmin has quite specific detail on where to install the OAT probe to protect the attached equipment from lightning. The cowling on the side of the engine is a No-No. High lightning strike location. Best would be under the wing, somewhere between gear and wing tip. They have no restrictions re installing in access panel. Look at the appendix in the installation manual for best location. Yep, needs wires to be run from out there and then may need to recalibrate your magnetometer if on the same wing.

CK

I just finished mine.  If you locate outboard of the gear leg like the factory does, you need to drill off two inspection covers and use a welding rod or music wire to help thread it through the pre-existing holes in the ribs.  Less than an hour of extra work, but be sure to have replacement 'soft' countersunk pop rivets on hand.  

Aerodon

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aerodon said:

If you locate outboard of the gear leg like the factory does, you need to drill off two inspection covers

I have no doubt this can be helpful, but it is certainly not necessary, at least not on the starboard wing of an F model.  Leaving those riveted inspection covers in place may, however, increase the amount of cussing and skinned knuckles.  Ask me how I know. :D