FAA Extends Aircraft Registrations to Seven Years

The announcement came before official publication but this morning (November 22, 2022), the FAA published a Direct Final Rule which changes the current 3-year aircraft registration expiration to seven years. Absent a substantial objection, it goes into effect January 23, 2023. It will apply to all registrations valid in January, whether issued before or after the effective date. For example, if your registration was issued in March 2020 and expires March 2023, the expiration date is automatically extended to March 2027. You do not have to obtain a replacement registration, but those who travel out of the country may want to avoid validity questions about why the registration says it already expired by obtaining a duplicate.

Also going away are the 90-day extensions of temporary registrations which have become ubiquitous due to delays at the FAA Registry. Instead, your temporary registration (the copy of your application) is valid for 12 months.

The text of the Direct Final Rule can be read here.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Now that they have reduced their workload, maybe they can process registrations in a timely manner.

Cutting the renewals by more than half is going to help a bit but while renewals get into the queue, pretty sure the review is more cursory, so there may be less impact than we hope. The 12 month temporary can have an effect either way - one less task but less reason to complete quickly.

Having dealt with the delay several times, I suspect most of it is a combination of COVID issues (including quarantining incoming paper and staffing issues), a hot market, and the usual rejections for incorrect application content (which is what I see most often, but I only get involved when I'm asked to fix something, so that may be a false impression).  

5 hours ago, kortopates said:

Great news! i’ll be applying for that duplicate soon even though i just got my new one. I am not trusting an “expired” on paper, even though not officially, is going work without delay out of the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to be clear, requesting a replacement is not part of the reg. But I'd definitely give it a try.

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

True, but I'd guesstimate less than 3% of us fly out of country!

Granted, the number would be small, but allow me to restate: If we all requested a new certificate just to show a new expiration date, my guess is that it would greatly increase the backlog! I too would like a new certificate showing the new expiration date, but as long as the "ramp-checkers" know the score, it's OK.

• Haha 1

Yesterday I flew my old Cessna to the sand dunes in California. I got permission to use the private gravel strip behind the Boardmanville desert bar in Glamis and didn’t want to land the Mooney there. When I left in the morning ForeFlight still said that it was registered to the previous owner. On the way home it finally said it belongs to me. I had almost given up hope it would ever be processed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Yesterday I flew my old Cessna to the sand dunes in California. I got permission to use the private gravel strip behind the Boardmanville desert bar in Glamis and didn’t want to land the Mooney there. When I left in the morning ForeFlight still said that it was registered to the previous owner. On the way home it finally said it belongs to me. I had almost given up hope it would ever be processed.

@N201MKTurboHow did you know abou that strip, and whom to contact for permission?  It doesn't even show on the LA sectional.  I had to locate it on Google Maps!

42 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

@N201MKTurboHow did you know abou that strip, and whom to contact for permission?  It doesn't even show on the LA sectional.  I had to locate it on Google Maps!

Contact Boardmanville, they want you to add them as a named insured on your policy. 

https://boardmanvilletradingpost.com

The strip is in very good shape. There is a King Air 300 in the hangar….

The field elevation is about 100 feet. No idea the runway length about 4000 ft.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

I didn’t know anything about it. My son went there for Thanksgiving and was trying to get me to come out. I said half joking “If you can find a place for me to land I’ll come out for a bit.

So he did, and I did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/23/2022 at 7:14 AM, kortopates said:

Great news! i’ll be applying for that duplicate soon even though i just got my new one. I am not trusting an “expired” on paper, even though not officially, is going work without delay out of the country.

I’m thinking I might just keep the old registration certificate and carry a copy of the final rule from the Federal Register. How many that fly outside the country have a FCC radio station license for the airplane and an operator’s permit for the pilot? Don’t most countries still require those?

When I flew Part 135 seaplanes to Canada, Canadian officials never checked pilot or airplane credentials. But, US Customs always checked my pilot certificate and medical certificate. I asked why and was told that the FAA requested they do it. They never checked the airplane paperwork, though.

Skip

• Like 1

I’m thinking I might just keep the old registration certificate and carry a copy of the final rule from the Federal Register. How many that fly outside the country have a FCC radio station license for the airplane and an operator’s permit for the pilot? Don’t most countries still require those?
When I flew Part 135 seaplanes to Canada, Canadian officials never checked pilot or airplane credentials. But, US Customs always checked my pilot certificate and medical certificate. I asked why and was told that the FAA requested they do it. They never checked the airplane paperwork, though.
Skip

nobody cares about the FCC licenses but the FCC! at least for private GA ops in north and central america.
i have them but never shown them.
Mexico will make sure you didn’t come in on an expired registration because the FAA has asked them too - similar to your Customs example with pilot license. But Customs is getting lax about that since recently they now look up all your paperwork with face recognition s/w on their phone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1