Sun visors for 67F

I cannot find any reference to them in two IPCs that I have.  Knots to U has some and fit 68 to 99 models, so probably can use any that you fine on the internet.  I would consider it a minor mod since it does not affect airworthiness. I am sure that there are other opinions.  BAS parts sales has a nice used set for sale.

The LASAR visors were very good. I have a set in my plane. After LASAR quit stocking them, I began producing visors very much like theirs. I do not have an STC, but can make you a set as "owner produced" parts if you specify how you want them made, or as a minor modification. 

I am not certain about the F models, but if the mounting holes are at the upper outside of the windscreen, mine will fit. 

Don

• Like 1

I wish the that Don’s visors were a plug and play solution for a 67 F but they are not. The stock visors on a 67F model are comprised of a thin stainless steel rod mounted to the top of the center windshield trim piece and two acrylic visors attached to the rod with straps. I’m sure the new style visors could be retrofitted, but not without modifications.

781A9B28-C8AA-44AE-A157-DF2C589068B8.jpeg.8cf48c2e4c79138b78a32e378f93d97d.jpeg

On 11/21/2022 at 5:16 PM, Shadrach said:

I wish the that Don’s visors were a plug and play solution for a 67 F but they are not. The stock visors on a 67F model are comprised of a thin stainless steel rod mounted to the top of the center windshield trim piece and two acrylic visors attached to the rod with straps. I’m sure the new style visors could be retrofitted, but not without modifications.

Mine are the same.  I actually find them more annoying than useful.  I keep them pushed up snug.  

On 11/21/2022 at 5:35 PM, DonMuncy said:

So it appears some 67 F's were outside corner mounted and others were center post mounted. 

Interesting. I think they are plug and play.

My early 67F has LASAR sun-visors (looked like ones you made) attached to the outside corners.  I believe threaded inserts on both sides look factory and RHS is used to attach Pull Strap (item 19 in IPC). I would suggest removing interior trim panels and check, you might be pleasantly surprised. 

3 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Interesting. I think they are plug and play.

My early 67F has LASAR sun-visors (looked like ones you made) attached to the outside corners.  I believe threaded inserts on both sides look factory and RHS is used to attach Pull Strap (item 19 in IPC). I would suggest removing interior trim panels and check, you might be pleasantly surprised. 

Your bird came off the line in Nov of 66, mine came off the line July of 67. If yours has visors that mount to the outer corners, they were retrofitted at a later date. Likely not that hard. My shoulder harnesses look factory and I installed them just 10 years ago.

12 hours ago, Shadrach said:

If yours has visors that mount to the outer corners, they were retrofitted at a later date. Likely not that hard. 

Retrofitting visors is easy. Welding the threaded inserts to the frame above the headliner is not. Your plane either has them or doesn't, checking would be pretty easy; finding them results in useful visors that can swivel to the side.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to make my visors extend. The concept is simple, but putting the hard stop so they don't come off is puzzling.

6 hours ago, Hank said:

Retrofitting visors is easy. Welding the threaded inserts to the frame above the headliner is not. Your plane either has them or doesn't, checking would be pretty easy; finding them results in useful visors that can swivel to the side.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to make my visors extend. The concept is simple, but putting the hard stop so they don't come off is puzzling.

Are you sure they’re all welded? Would be possible to clamp in the same way shoulder belts are mounted.

On 11/23/2022 at 7:32 PM, Shadrach said:

Your bird came off the line in Nov of 66, mine came off the line July of 67. If yours has visors that mount to the outer corners, they were retrofitted at a later date. Likely not that hard. My shoulder harnesses look factory and I installed them just 10 years ago.

Ross,

As I mentioned, copilot visor is installed into the outboard insert for the Pull strap so it must be original. To be clear, pull strap installation has two inserts, only the OBD one is used for the visor. It was years ago when I last time removed the interior trim but according to my memory, Pilot side has the similar insert. 

4 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Ross,

As I mentioned, copilot visor is installed into the outboard insert for the Pull strap so it must be original. To be clear, pull strap installation has two inserts, only the OBD one is used for the visor. It was years ago when I last time removed the interior trim but according to my memory, Pilot side has the similar insert. 

Why would that make it original? I have a pull strap in the same place with no visor mount. None of the Mooneys with modern visors mount to the pull strap. Why would your bird have a completely different visor orientation than those serial numbers made before and after unless it was retrofitted/modified? I think Bruce Jaeger has a retrofit visor kit. But it does not use the pull strap. There are four owners in this thread with 1967 model year Mooneys and all have center post mounted visors. Don’s might be plug and play for your plane but they are not plug and play for unretrofitted vintage Mooneys. There is a reason why the Rosen visor STC is limited to 1968 model years or later.

I guess I wasn't clear.

The Visors are made by LASAR, so not original but are using existing inserts where the pull strap is originally installed on RHS (as per IPC). I don't remember is LHS is with same insert, I would need to check LASAR installation documentation or remove the trim.

1 hour ago, Igor_U said:

I guess I wasn't clear.

The Visors are made by LASAR, so not original but are using existing inserts where the pull strap is originally installed on RHS (as per IPC). I don't remember is LHS is with same insert, I would need to check LASAR installation documentation or remove the trim.

Can you post a picture from the 67 IPC that shows the “insert”?  How is the pilot side visor mounted?

It doesn't call the threaded insert, but 2 are part of the "Hand-hold Bracket" item 11 in the picture attached. Non removable standard part in Detail-assy wouldn't normally be called-out in IPC.

Pull out strap is attached to this with two 1/4" screws with three washers each. You can find it in as item 20 in Cabin interiors. I'm sure you'll have the manual.

I would really need to remove the panel to see how the LH visor is installed. I honestly don't remember as I've redid the panels 15 years ago but from the outside it looks the same. I'm sure LASAR documentation would tell the story as well.

Edit: it might not be the threaded insert there; just a machined thread for a screw since tubular frame is steel.

.1417010213_Tubularstructure.JPG.b903d9b503ca947b475c5ba1c3051eb0.JPG 

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Can you post a picture from the 67 IPC that shows the “insert”?  How is the pilot side visor mounted?

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2022 at 7:23 PM, TNIndy said:

I bought a set from Don last year for my 67 F. They are great quality. The shop is supposed to install them this week. I can let you know how they fit.

Finally got my plane back from the avionics upgrade. My logs show someone installed Lasar Visors in the past but none were installed when I purchased it. We installed Don's and they work well. 

Sun Visor 3.jpg

Sun Visor 2.jpg

Sun Visor 1.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 5:16 PM, Shadrach said:

So… this is my plane! Just bought it haha. 

it’s being ferried to me Saturday. I’ll take a close up shot of the visors and will ask the seller if he knows where he got em. 

cheers to good taste in photos