Continental cylinder for Lycoming engines

JimB

On 11/15/2022 at 12:43 PM, M20Doc said:

It would be better the other way around. Lycoming cylinders for Continental engines.

I 100% agree. I was just shopping the other day for some cylinders for a Lycoming O-360 on a Piper and saw the application guide on Airpower's website. https://www.airpowerinc.com/resources?id=6

Just hadn't heard of Continental cylinders for Lycoming engines. 

Might be a good option if you need something now. When I was at the Lycoming plant recently, they told me they have a year backlog. 

Perfect storm: They brought cylinder head machining in house and had start up issues + shutdown during Covid + demand skyrocketed because during Covid a lot of people decided to overhaul and buy homebuilt kits. Vans is now Lycoming’s largest customer. 

Skip

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I have them on my engine. They seem well made and so far are working fine. 

They are the old ECI cylinders made in the old ECI plant. Continental bought ECI, that’s why they sell Lycoming cylinders.

ECI cylinders have lost of ADs on them.  Not sure if the Continental versions have dealt with the issues fully?

30 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

ECI cylinders have lost of ADs on them.  Not sure if the Continental versions have dealt with the issues fully?

The ADs don't apply to these cylinders. ECI has been making cylinders since 1948 or so.

https://www.avweb.com/ownership/eci-cylinder-ad-the-more-you-look-the-worse-it-is/

• Like 1

Continental has their own AD from 2020, on IO-520/550 cross flow type cylinders made from 2014 to 2018. Worse yet, the AD instructed you to modify the cylinder head by grinding away some excess casting flash, which was supposed to prevent them from cracking in this area (next to the exhaust port). But now it seems that modified cylinders are still cracking.