Oil Filters

Wow, the order I placed with AS for two ea.  Champion Spin-On Oil Filter CH48110-1 in JUNE just shipped.  Five months.

Normally I order Tempest filters.   I messed up but when I realized it, I decided to not cancel the order because I'm out of filters.   I guess this means that Champion is making filters again?

1 hour ago, Fly Boomer said:

They fulfill FIFO.  You have to get in line.

Yeah, no kidding, everyone knows that, I’m not complaining about Aircraft Spruce for Champion supply chain issues.

As I said in my post, I was wondering if anyone could beat 9 months (or as you would say, have been in line for 9 months).

3 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Yeah, no kidding, everyone knows that, I’m not complaining about Aircraft Spruce for Champion supply chain issues.

As I said in my post, I was wondering if anyone could beat 9 months (or as you would say, have been in line for 9 months).

I can't come close to that number (yet), and I'm hoping they don't allow line jumpers.  Somehow it makes it easier to take when you know everybody is sharing the pain.  From reading blogs and looking at the Spruce web site, I thought the problems were behind us, so I just ordered a single filter -- as long as they are easy to get on short notice, I don't feel the need to stock them (or anything else).  When I learned that the situation is only "slightly less dire" than before, I was able to change my order from one to six.  I don't want to be a hoarder but, as you know, with long lead times, we need to order WAY before we will need them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I ordered a case of six 109s in September from Spruce - they shipped out today.

Well, that means I was in line 4 full months before you and my order has been pushed off to February. Something ain’t right…

I wonder if orders for cases of filters is filled differently from individual ones.  Still not right.

Edited by Andy95W

7 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Well, that means I was in line 4 full months before you and my order has been pushed off to February. Something ain’t right…

I wonder if orders for cases of filters is filled differently from individual ones.  Still not right.

You use a different filter in an M20C than I do. Mine is a Tempest AA48109.

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

You use a different filter in an M20C than I do. Mine is a Tempest AA48109.

Actually, my remote filter uses the 48109 also.  I’ve had the Champion 48109 filter on order since May, I ordered a Tempest in September and already received it.  The Champion is the one that is taking 9 months (and counting).

Looks to be another reason to drop anything manufactured by Champion.

• Like 1

I ordered the Challenger Lifetime Oil Filter (CP48109C) with five extra seal gaskets on August. 29 Each gasket is said to last 5-10 oil changes. It was $315 plus $7 per gasket. It shipped on September 26 (less than a month) and I installed it October 22 when the oil change was due. It appears to be exceedingly well made and super high quality. The filer element is very, very fine. Time will tell but at this point I really like it a lot. I'll probably do another oil change around the first of the year.

I went out one afternoon and did a short flight to warm up the oil. Then hooked up the drain hose to the quick drain and let it drain overnight. The next day I came back and removed the old filter and installed the new one. I ran the engine a minute or two to check for leaks and then buttoned up everything. The total time spent from opening the cowls to closing them was under 30 minutes, probably about 20 minutes. Oil spilled . . . not a single drop.

Of course a Bonanza is just a *little* easier and faster to do an oil change on than a Mooney :D

IMG_3935.jpeg

23 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

I ordered the Challenger Lifetime Oil Filter (CP48109C) with five extra seal gaskets on August. 29 Each gasket is said to last 5-10 oil changes. It was $315 plus $7 per gasket. It shipped on September 26 (less than a month) and I installed it October 22 when the oil change was due. It appears to be exceedingly well made and super high quality. The filer element is very, very fine. Time will tell but at this point I really like it a lot. I'll probably do another oil change around the first of the year.

I went out one afternoon and did a short flight to warm up the oil. Then hooked up the drain hose to the quick drain and let it drain overnight. The next day I came back and removed the old filter and installed the new one. I ran the engine a minute or two to check for leaks and then buttoned up everything. The total time spent from opening the cowls to closing them was under 30 minutes, probably about 20 minutes. Oil spilled . . . not a single drop.

Of course a Bonanza is just a *little* easier and faster to do an oil change on than a Mooney :D

IMG_3935.jpeg

If everything works correctly it looks like a nice solution. Here's a situation where everything did not work correctly:

9 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

If everything works correctly it looks like a nice solution. Here's a situation where everything did not work correctly:

The prevailing theory on that sitauation is an improper installation of the gasket. The instructions are very specific.

• Like 1

PXL_20220824_215403707.jpg.116a1a48264725e873755dad2fd11268.jpg

From this view, It sure seems that it is tight and secured (This photo was taken after the install but before the incident).  In any case, if a mechanic whom I trust and have worked 100's of hours alongside cannot reliably place this device without error, there is something inherently wrong with the design in my view.  If there is a possibility of the quad seal becoming pinched and sliding out of it's groove and one cannot visually inspect for this condition while tightening then this is a defective design.  Also, the only response I got from the company was to insist that I send the device to their lab and threaten me with legal action.   Not a good look.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 9:53 AM, alextstone said:

PXL_20220824_215403707.jpg.116a1a48264725e873755dad2fd11268.jpg

From this view, It sure seems that it is tight and secured (This photo was taken after the install but before the incident).  In any case, if a mechanic whom I trust and have worked 100's of hours alongside cannot reliably place this device without error, there is something inherently wrong with the design in my view.  If there is a possibility of the quad seal becoming pinched and sliding out of it's groove and one cannot visually inspect for this condition while tightening then this is a defective design.  Also, the only response I got from the company was to insist that I send the device to their lab and threaten me with legal action.   Not a good look.

On a horizontal installation like this it would be tough to make sure that the o-ring hadn't slipped out of the groove.

In the picture they have on their website of their filter for the Rotax engine the gasket doesn't look very confidence-inspiring.  (https://www.challengeraviation.com/products/cp9124c-rotax-oil-filter)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...