First Mooney Solo - KHRV - KCVH - KRHV

katzhome

Well after a LOT of T/O and landing practice the past two weeks, today was my first solo jaunt in N43CA.  

Something I hope I don’t have to do after a few months, but a fuel run to Hollister nearby.

I had done most of my practice there and have experience looking out for the glider and tow plane traffic.

Takeoff at RHV was one of my smoothest, even with a 4 knot crosswind, but I don’t realize how fast this plane is until I’m having to avoid the trainer traffic as I’m climbing out.

Landing at Hollister was a bit more of a plunk than I wanted, but not too bad.  The flight back was smooth except I had to drop gear and flaps early to slow down enough for the 172 in front.  That landing was one of my best so far.

Wonderful planes these are, I’m looking forward to getting the rest of my hours for passengers.  My son starts his training next week!77211064-4575-4279-AEAB-761882F781A7.jpeg.f350bea7931e27b28213c8e04c01c2c5.jpeg

• Like 7

On 11/15/2022 at 5:02 PM, 201Mooniac said:

Congrats on making it out and about.  There are lots of great airports nearby to explore (and fuel up at).  Did you stop for lunch at CVH?  The restaurant is very good.

I know you have said Marina is a good one, what are some of the others?  Depending on work, I may be able to get out again this weekend.  However, I may have to trade time with my son for his first checkout lesson.

12 hours ago, katzhome said:

I know you have said Marina is a good one, what are some of the others?  Depending on work, I may be able to get out again this weekend.  However, I may have to trade time with my son for his first checkout lesson.

Marina is often good for inexpensive fuel but not much else there.  Half Moon Bay is great and lots of restaurant choices atg the south end of the field (as well as the one in the terminal).  I like going to Santa Rosa, Vacaville, Clear Lake, and Harris Ranch for lunch.  I fly to Jackson often (I have a car there) and it is a great fly in but nothing really to walk to.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 201Mooniac said:

Marina is often good for inexpensive fuel but not much else there.  Half Moon Bay is great and lots of restaurant choices atg the south end of the field (as well as the one in the terminal).  I like going to Santa Rosa, Vacaville, Clear Lake, and Harris Ranch for lunch.  I fly to Jackson often (I have a car there) and it is a great fly in but nothing really to walk to.

Harris Ranch would be pretty challenging for a new-to-plane pilot, and if you come at the wrong time of day, it's Smell-O-Rama from the nearby stockyards :wacko:

The food is great if you like steaks, though.  I had to stay there a couple nights a week for work stuff, and probably gained a good 10 lbs that year.  By the end, I was getting all the (semi)-healthy stuff.  I didn't think one could get tired of steak!

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

Harris Ranch would be pretty challenging for a new-to-plane pilot, and if you come at the wrong time of day, it's Smell-O-Rama from the nearby stockyards :wacko:

The food is great if you like steaks, though.  I had to stay there a couple nights a week for work stuff, and probably gained a good 10 lbs that year.  By the end, I was getting all the (semi)-healthy stuff.  I didn't think one could get tired of steak!

Actually went there in a school C172 for Mother’s Day to get steaks.  I’m not ready to take the Mooney there yet!  

I have worked launches out of Vandenberg and definitely got tired of steak (lots of great steak places that way, Hitchin Post and others) and gained about 15 pounds over 6 months.  I know what you mean!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rbp said:

if you're in that neighborhood, I highly recommend flying the VOR-A into KWVI Watsonville. Unique "backwards" DME arc

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2211/00805VA.PDF

Done lots of flights to KWVI, did my PPL Checkride there.  Not instrument rated yet however!

5 hours ago, 201Mooniac said:

Where do you like to go in Santa Rosa? We were there last week. My wife was cracking up during the RNAV approach “LUSEE” and “PIGPN” were her favorite fixes. We also got the CHARLIE 8 departure on our way out. My son was disappointed there was no “SNOOPY” arrival, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katzhome said:

Actually went there in a school C172 for Mother’s Day to get steaks.  I’m not ready to take the Mooney there yet!  

It’s plenty long with no obstacles. 

but it is narrow, esp on finally. 

The good thing is that the nose wheel  doesn’t care how wide the runway is

24 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Where do you like to go in Santa Rosa? We were there last week. My wife was cracking up during the RNAV approach “LUSEE” and “PIGPN” were her favorite fixes. We also got the CHARLIE 8 departure on our way out. My son was disappointed there was no “SNOOPY” arrival, though.

I found Snoopy! :D 

image.png.74f93fe4edab4d86aa0779af5108429d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilovecornfields said:

Yes, the fix names are great :)  Lunch at the airport restaurant in the terminal is typically very good.

• Like 1