M20E starter model

A but of a curious situation I’m hoping someone has encountered. 1966 M20E IO 360 A1A. Starter seems to be dying and I’m looking to replace. Current starter appears to be an SRZ-9021 but the application guides say it should be an SRZ-9031. Before I order a replacement for mine, any ideas on why or how the installed starter would differ from the application guide? Picture of my starter below.  My instinct is to replace with an SRZ-9021 but I just want to make sure there isn’t something I’m missing.  Thanks!

63E9828A-7883-4571-9670-DBF734661EEB.jpeg

The 21 is a LH solenoid the 31 is a RH solenoid. You should stick with the 21.

What's wrong with it? Have you checked the voltage at the starter with it cranking? To do this hook a jumper wire to the starter and run it into the ice window. Hook it to your meter so you can see it while cranking.

Yup, thanks.  Just found it odd that the part on the plane didn't match the application guide from the manufacturer.

Here is what happened: went to crank the plane today and it fired right up. Taxi'd over to the fuel pumps (maybe 10 minutes), fueled, and went to crank.  Wouldn't really turn over.  Maybe it tried to turn over a few times and then nothing.  Guessed it might be a battery issue so towed it back to the hangar and charged the battery.  JPI was then reading 12.6 with just the master on.  Tried to start, nothing.  Every once in a while the prop might bump a slight amount but that's it.

Battery is a Concorde RG35AXC that's about 2.5 years old.  Starter has about 600 hours on it.

Expect something simple…

People have reported similar challenges over a decade of MS…

The issue is often a small resistance between two surfaces… anywhere from the battery, to a ground, to wires all the way to the starter… relays have a way of wearing out or breaking down…

They all behave the same…

Soooo… don’t rush to replace something that was just working…

Until you proved to yourself… it isn’t working correctly….

Starters have all kinds of variables to match their specific application… including dimensions on the nose of the Bendix drive….

It is pretty easy to have a starter that was built for one application, get adjusted to a different application… that no longer matches the name on it…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-