Experience with 3D exocentric view (Avidyne)?

hais

17 hours ago, hais said:

The egocentric version Look at the vantage PFD display, compare the HSI vs track display in synthetic vision. I think the track display is much better at giving SA. Avidyne is onto something, I hope they certify this PFD for Mooneys.

https://images.app.goo.gl/kdPJWbQCp9eDVr1a8

The Vantage is indeed impressive. However, the current units are designed to initially replace ageing Avidyne Entegra units that were originally fitted as OEM products to early model Cirrus aircraft. 

At this stage, it is not available for other aircraft types.

In any case, my understanding is that these 12” screens are very expensive and too big for the short and mid body Mooney panel. Who knows whether the units would fit into a long body panel or if Avidyne will likely release a smaller version to fit all Mooneys and other GA aircraft panels given that Garmin already have a stronghold on the big screen market with the G500 Txi and G3X screens.

If you still want to seek real life opinions on the Vantage screens then your best bet is to access Cirrus forums.

• Like 1

I have the basic synthetic vision that comes with the IFD540, and I very rarely use it.   It doesn't really add much situational awareness, even flying near elevated terrain (which we have a lot of in AZ).   So I don't bother with it.

The better version is in the IFD550, and they have been making changes that greatly increase the resolution of the displayed terrain, but right now it requires a hardware upgrade and it just doesn't seem worth it to me.  It may get to the point where it is useful, but right now mine doesn't seem to be imho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1