The Mooney Pull & Take Off Trim ???

DCarlton

Having stalled what must be over a 100 Mooney's from short bodies to Acclaim Ultras this fear is pure myth.

If moving up from 172 to a Mooney, they are far less benign. I can manhandle a 172. Next time you practice stalls in a Mooney, instead of gently increasing your AOA and focusing on keeping the ball centered, pull the nose up briskly and ignore the ball…let me know how it goes.
I also think J/F will be the worst because they extended the fuselage without moving the wings, resulting in a less nose heavy characteristics.
Ks and then long bodies got extended noses and heavier engines to make up for their longer fuselages.
  • Haha 1

It's not the CG, it's the wing. The Mooney airfoil has a sharper stall break than a Cessna. If you decelerate slowly at about one knot per second with the ball centered it's fine. The pitch forces on the Mooney are higher than a Cessna at the stall and what I've often seen is that pilots will not decelerate at a constant rate but rather abruptly pull harder at the end which leads to a nose high attitude and greater pitch down at the break. At the same time, if the ball is off center it will roll. The combination is startling at first. After a few it's no big deal.

20 hours ago, carusoam said:

How many other planes can stall on base to final… and recover before hitting the ground?

I’m more of a fan of having the flaps down before the turn to base… and nicely trimmed…

Sure the drag is higher…

And the stall speed is lower…

But the only person that has had the engine die on final… had so little fuel, it ran away from the pick-up as the nose pointed towards the ground…

Use caution with maintenance flights and very little fuel in the tanks… they can lead to a small surprise….  :)

I’m also a fan of low bank angle turns…  I giant U-turn is OK with me…  (there is a name for this technique around here somewhere) George gave a presentation on it a few years back…

PP thoughts only, not a CFI…

Best regards,

-a-

I prefer shallow bank giant U turns too with at least takeoff flaps.  Not sure where the push for square turns originated other than it may improve visibility and encourage people to look.  

10 hours ago, DCarlton said:

I prefer shallow bank giant U turns too with at least takeoff flaps.  Not sure where the push for square turns originated other than it may improve visibility and encourage people to look.  

I'm kind of a U-turn guy as well, but I like to flatten it out for a bit mid-turn just to have another look for some idiot on a 10-mile straight-in final who is unable, unwilling, or uninterested in using the radio.  Some of my friends are deaf, and they won't use the radio -- probably because they can't hear or understand transmissions from other airplanes.  I don't fly with them any longer.  Sorry, this kind of turned into a rant.

• Like 3