Today’s Mooney spotting

rbp

19 minutes ago, EricJ said:

The owl is a nice touch.  ;)

I used to taxi by a plane at Palo Alto with one of those plastic owls on the prop. The owl was covered in bird poop. Apparently, the birds thought it a good place to land for a rest stop.

• Haha 1

NJ Pilots met up today for brunch at Sky Acres organized by @jrm356, and 4 out of 9 planes were Mooneys. Very nice to meet @Alan Fox in person! and the guy from PNE with the 65C (sorry I forgot your name). And Montalk Flying (205SS). Also added  a few mooneys parked on the rampIMG_8235.jpeg.be917aa0f05cd40b735c41d4e35dbb70.jpeg

IMG_8231.jpeg

IMG_8236.jpeg

IMG_8237.jpeg

IMG_8242.jpeg

IMG_8238.jpeg

• Like 5

On 1/6/2023 at 7:49 PM, Mcstealth said:

Cool looking Executive in Dugosh today. 

The sad looking Darter in the back that I fly. 

20230106_130033.jpg

I believe that the Hartzell manual says to never support anything by the blades going so far as to say removal, disassembly and internal inspection is required.  A costly add on to a normal Annual.

9 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I believe that the Hartzell manual says to never support anything by the blades going so far as to say removal, disassembly and internal inspection is required.  A costly add on to a normal Annual.

Must be a Texas thing. Maxwell uses a hoist and a couple of old alternator belts on the blade shanks.

40 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Mooney says to not pull down on the tail.

Lycoming says to not lift the nose of the airplane by the engine lifting points.

Hartzell and McCauley say to not lift ir support the nose by the prop.

So all short- and mid-body Mooneys need to be jacked using either levitation or telekinesis, 'cause there's nowhere to jack or to lift . . . .

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Hank said:

Lycoming says to not lift the nose of the airplane by the engine lifting points.

So all short- and mid-body Mooneys need to be jacked using either levitation or telekinesis, 'cause there's nowhere to jack or to lift . . . .

Use the force Luke

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I noticed that, but it looks like there may be something holding the tail down (not supposed to do that either).

16 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

I noticed that, but it looks like there may be something holding the tail down (not supposed to do that either).

Add a cherry picker to the engine hoist rings, and he'd have the trifecta!  :D

"Rules are made to be broken," right? May as well break them all!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hank said:

Or just lock the gear down permanently!

3 hours ago, PT20J said:

Texans or jacking? ;)

Actually I've got a new idea -- airbags. They don't take up much space in the hangar when deflated. :D

Should be able to get them filled around here

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 3:22 PM, Hank said:

Keep Yoda nearby and all is well.

31 minutes ago, Canadian Gal said:

I think that they look better without paint.

Just polish it, and go.

Have you ever polished a plane? You can see spots I attempted it towards the cowl. I had a couple issues that made me scrape polishing it. I had a lot of surface corrosion. Nothing deep fortunately but still plenty of it. Cleaning all of that and getting it to match the clad portion is impossible. I spent and insane amount of time trying to do that before I just gave up. If it couldn't be mirror finish I didn't want it. I'm also in Galveston and 1 mile from the beech. The saltwater dulls a polished plane fast. I agree it's beautiful but I had to come to terms with reality. I'm doing a pretty extensive Corrosion protection process. There won't be one spec of it on my plane or the ability for it to come back for a very long time. 

• Like 2