ACK E04 406Mhz ELT

2 hours ago, mooneyflyer said:

Anyone have experience with this unit? I am drawn to it because it utilizes existing wiring which saves a lot of installation time. But its only worth it if the unit is good. Thoughts?

I have one and it’s been trouble-free. The panel interface has two little tiny buttons and a little tiny LED, which is a minor annoyance. But you can fit it anywhere, so there’s that :)

• Like 1

Previous owner installed one in my plane. Fortunately, I’ve never had to use it :)But it seems like a good unit and ACK has a good reputation.

ACK started out when the founder figured out that the only requirement for ELT batteries was that they be labeled with an expiration date by the manufacturer. So, he designed an ELT to use Duracell Alkaline D cells which made it the least expensive unit to maintain.  Alas, the 406 MHz ELTs required larger batteries, so they now have an expensive battery pack to replace every few years. 

Skip

I have one in my plane.  I've had it for quite a while now.  It replaced the old 121.5 unit that was in there.  It does work.  I know.  I accidentally turned it on.  There is an ON/OFF/Armed mode switched on it.  I accidentally put it in the on mode for about a second.  A few minutes later I got a call on my cell phone I did not recognize.  It was from the Air Force asking me if I was okay.  It transmitted to them while the plane was in my hangar.  I only had it ON for a second and they called me within 5 minutes.

58 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I have one and it's been great.    It's been set off accidentally a couple times and both times my contact list got contacted pretty soon.    

I believe you guys, but I was surprised to read in the manual that it doesn’t transmit on 406mz until something like 90 seconds after activation.  I’ll try to find the exact quote.  Maybe I just read it wrong.  Anyway, mine has been good.

I have one too. Also accidental turns on earlier when i have been working under the panel.
But i wouldn’t put any weight on the existing wiring benefit. This technology is made even better by connecting the ACK to your panel GPS, which you’ll more than likely need to pull and connect. pulling wires for a new remote is done with the GPS wires so i’d still count on that. Then there is the installation of the buzzer and battery in the cockpit area and creating a little circuit to test your GPS connection. it’s not a just plug into the tail cone and install a new antenna install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you guys, but I was surprised to read in the manual that it doesn’t transmit on 406mz until something like 90 seconds after activation.  I’ll try to find the exact quote.  Maybe I just read it wrong.  Anyway, mine has been good.

they’re all like that. it’s gives you a minute to test it on the hour before it sends the 406 data packet out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kortopates said:

they’re all like that. it’s gives you a minute to test it on the hour before it sends the 406 data packet out.

Yep, found it. Page 12, says 50” before it goes to 406.

The self test functionality works fine without sending 406 too.

26A82295-0563-4BB3-87FC-4C202913915B.jpeg.a43aa6fcbb00cb4236dfacd95f528f7e.jpeg

Previous owner installed one in my plane. Fortunately, I’ve never had to use it But it seems like a good unit and ACK has a good reputation.
ACK started out when the founder figured out that the only requirement for ELT batteries was that they be labeled with an expiration date by the manufacturer. So, he designed an ELT to use Duracell Alkaline D cells which made it the least expensive unit to maintain.  Alas, the 406 MHz ELTs required larger batteries, so they now have an expensive battery pack to replace every few years. 
Skip

The other 2 batteries in the cockpit are cheap, and last longer, but the time to get to them isn’t trivial. Luckily my time is “free”.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kortopates said:

The other 2 batteries in the cockpit are cheap, and last longer, but the time to get to them isn’t trivial. Luckily my time is “free”.

Well at least you only have to do it every ten years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I have this. Only complaint is that when I put my cover on the plane if it has static on it and touches the antenna it sets the Elt off. They said it’s a know issue so just be careful of static around the antenna 

Does yours have a static suppressor on the co-ax? I just installed one for a friend and it came with one. We installed it, but until now I was not sure what it was for.