Aircraft jacking poll

Aircraft jacking using a weighted tail stand Vs using a cable winch  

51 members have voted

1. 1. When jacking your Mooney what method do you use?

• Weighted tail stand
    • Engine hoist on engine hoist point
    • Engine hoist lifting on prop blades
  2. 2. Have you incurred damage on your aircraft from any jacking incident?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other with a story to tell

5 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

I didn’t understand…

I am tied down outside so closing the hangar door and walking away is not an option for me. Spindle stands allow me to remove the wheel assemblies and leave the plane  supported on its own gear without Jacks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a very nicely made concrete tail stand on wheels which I began using, and then went to the engine hoist when Mooney said to do so, but still use the tail weight as well.  Two Meyers A6 style jacks with the engine hoist and tail stand provides a very stable amount of support.  The Engine hoist was from Harbor Freight and needs a locking collar for the piston.  It is a metric size which I bought on e-bay for about $3 from China.  I bought the Meyers jacks on e-bay for about 1/2 price and were almost new in appearance.  

John Breda

sounds like the best solution is too avoid tail tie down ring (the small bulkhead it was not a full length bulkhead it was probably only 4" tall that I saw where the Tie down screws into was held on by 2 rivets:wacko: one on either side), to avoid the prop stand, to avoid lifting the engine and attached airframe by a lift hoist.

is to use a larger diameter tubing on the  Engine mount and weld either tubing for bolts through to support a tubing   for a removable extension for a ground jack offset just off the nose gear  or permanently have a jack pad  welded on near the nose gear like Later models Mooney's do and be done with this debate.  Of course the paper work headache getting this through the FAA would be painful.

Just my 2 cents

James '67C