It Couldn't Happen---But It Did

donkaye

Possible….  New title update….

It Shouldn’t Happen… But it does….  

When electrons are allowed to flow freely… they have the tendency to melt things they come in contact with….

Sometimes a CB will be tripped, other times a fused link will melt…

Check upstream of the electron flow to see what stopped the free flow of electrons… a CB or some form of fuse…?

Essentially, when a battery gets directly connected to ground… that’s a lot of arc welding capacity being released…

Be on the look out for partially melted fuses…or any other damage that may have been caused…

it would really help to have an EE background…    :)

PP thoughts for consideration only…. Not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

One reason that I like the G5 as a backup is that it has a long battery life. I've never had the patience to run it down entirely, but may try that on a long VFR flight. Recently I ran it on battery for one hour. At the beginning of the test, the battery was showing 90% with a time remaining or 3:21. After an hour, it showed time remaining of 2:15. I doubt these times are exact, but they are indicative that the thing should last at least 2+ hours. It would probably last longer if the display brightness were reduced.

Skip

4 hours ago, PT20J said:

One reason that I like the G5 as a backup is that it has a long battery life. I've never had the patience to run it down entirely, but may try that on a long VFR flight. Recently I ran it on battery for one hour. At the beginning of the test, the battery was showing 90% with a time remaining or 3:21. After an hour, it showed time remaining of 2:15. I doubt these times are exact, but they are indicative that the thing should last at least 2+ hours. It would probably last longer if the display brightness were reduced.

Skip

I haven't checked on my G5's, but on the RCA 2610-3 that I have reducing the brightness has a huge impact on the battery life. It is supposed to have a one hour backup battery and at 100% brightness I get about 50 minutes after pulling the breaker of life out of it. I'm trying to remember, but I backed it down to 60 or 70% brightness which was still readable in daylight and after a 2 1/2 hour flight still had more than 50% battery left. I would imagine reducing brightness on the G5 would have similar benefits.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

y'all have not been around computer and it shows.   Netflix created this idea of design to fail.   Then they created a chaos monkey to test out their design.   https://netflixtechblog.com/tagged/chaos-monkey

The title of this thread is telling.   Bad design.    When you do redundancy you do it for all systems.   Power, avionics, etc,

redundancies in my plane.

Tablet, Phone, Wisky Compass, hand compass.

There are two main screens and I know how to switch them to PFD.  Then there is the D10A   All three screens have batteries.

several Flashlight to see the airspeed and TC which are still steam.

Hanheld com radio with VOR with headset adapter.

Redundancy is separate systems that don't rely on each other.

• Like 2