Replacing Garmin 696 with Aera 760

Zulee

If this topic has been addressed in a forum I've searched but unable to find any feedback.

I want to replace my 696 with the Aera 760 but to receive XM whether I need a GDL52 antenna.  I'm curious if there are any other options that do not require sticking a box on my glare shield?

Thanks in advance

Rick

It depends on where you’re receiving XM feed. I have a 760 and receive XM from gdl69a sxm via FS510 card in the GTN750. 

But you’ll need XM weather antenna to supply the feed in some form or fashion. Either from built in or dash. 
BA8792DE-ABE3-4DB3-8101-7DBA2F2DBB28.jpeg.fd1735036f4ee311d9b81907099462e3.jpeg

^this is from pilot guide. 

22 hours ago, Zulee said:

If this topic has been addressed in a forum I've searched but unable to find any feedback.

I want to replace my 696 with the Aera 760 but to receive XM whether I need a GDL52 antenna.  I'm curious if there are any other options that do not require sticking a box on my glare shield?

Thanks in advance

Rick

You can install a remote GDL-52R.

I actually like the regular GDL52 on the glare shield. To me it offers redundancy in a complete electrical failure since it has a built in battery. This would give weather, a basic AHRS backup (hopefully in addition to a battery backup panel attitude), GPS signal, etc). And of course since it's portable you can use it easily when flying in another airplane.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, M20F said:

Idle curiosity but why not just go the ADSB route at this point?

FlightAware shows that he has ADS-B out.

He may be using this for his ADS-B in                                 

or for XM weather preference over ADS-B

or for XM music in

or for redundancy in case his panel ADS-B in goes black

or for the genetic flaw that most pilots share, love-of-gadgets?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Pinecone said:

Why the preference for XM over FISB weather?

The only experience I have with XM weather was with a older Garmin auto GPS with built in XM.

I'll chime in on this one.

XM advantages: 

Weather on the ground

High-Res Radar

Storm Cell data

Cloud to Cloud Lightning

Winds and temps aloft

Pireps

Tops

Freezing level

All that being said, over the years ADSB seems to have closed the gap and is a great product.