Recommended Avionics Shop to relamp/refurbish KFC 150 & K297B

Stetson20

I was able to update most of my panel except the autopilot. I have the KFC 150 and K297B altitude pre-select. They work well, however, the 150 has burned out back lights so I can barely see the displays and the 297B has something wrong (I believe) with the photocell which makes the display extremely dim at all times.

Anybody recommend a shop for relamp/refurbishment? I searched threads with the word "refurbish" and there weren't many.

TIA

2 hours ago, Stetson20 said:

I was able to update most of my panel except the autopilot. I have the KFC 150 and K297B altitude pre-select. They work well, however, the 150 has burned out back lights so I can barely see the displays and the 297B has something wrong (I believe) with the photocell which makes the display extremely dim at all times.

Anybody recommend a shop for relamp/refurbishment? I searched threads with the word "refurbish" and there weren't many.

TIA

For the photocell, these people work on King equipment: Bevan Aviation, Wichita KS https://bevanaviation.com/location-contact/

@Jake@BevanAviation

Edited by LANCECASPER

Larry at Sarasota Avionics just did this for me.  He is at the Sarasota location.

Replaced the ALT lamp and replaced the photocell on the KAS-297B.  Took about 4 hours to remove, fix and replace.  About $500 - 600 total cost

The problem with the KC191 bulb replacement is, you can't just take the front panel off.  You have to start from the back end.  Larry and I had a discussion about this and why engineers do not design equipment to be maintained.

To replace the lamps in the KC19X unit, the bezel has to be removed.  To do this, the unit has to be opened up. Some of the screws are only accessed from the inside of the unit.  Whoever replaces the lamps in the flight computer make sure they are spaced properly, if they are too close to the lens it can burn it over time. We do not work on the alt pre-selector (KAS-297B).

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 8:48 AM, Jerry 5TJ said:

Replacement of the KC191 bulbs is a straightforward task for a basic avionics shop.  The bulbs are incandescent and plug into the display board, accessible once the front panel is removed.  

For my clarification, the KC191 is the part number for the bulb? I have the KFC 150 autopilot. Thanks!