High Oil Pressure On Takeoff

Went to fly this evening. Luckily the plane started right up after my debacle yesterday.

However, after startup the oil pressure was almost 90. I only have the stock analog gauge. Normally it’s around 70-80.

I thought, ok let’s see what happens after runup. Seemed a bit lower but on the takeoff roll the oil pressure was at 100, maybe even a bit above.

Aborted takeoff.

Rather short taxi prior to runup. Maybe 4-5 mins from start to runup. Oil temps were 120-140.

OAT was 65-68.

Plane kept in a hangar.

Aeroshell 100 oil.

Even after cycling the prop 3 times the pressure didn’t seem to come down much at all, if any. I was hooding that maybe cycling the prop would help circulate the warm oil.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, gwav8or said:

Went to fly this evening. Luckily the plane started right up after my debacle yesterday.

However, after startup the oil pressure was almost 90. I only have the stock analog gauge. Normally it’s around 70-80.

I thought, ok let’s see what happens after runup. Seemed a bit lower but on the takeoff roll the oil pressure was at 100, maybe even a bit above.

Aborted takeoff.

Rather short taxi prior to runup. Maybe 4-5 mins from start to runup. Oil temps were 120-140.

OAT was 65-68.

Plane kept in a hangar.

Aeroshell 100 oil.

Even after cycling the prop 3 times the pressure didn’t seem to come down much at all, if any. I was hooding that maybe cycling the prop would help circulate the warm oil.

Any suggestions?

Sounds pretty normal to me.  With cool oil you’ll see higher pressure.  When you’re seeing normal oil temperatures around 180 you should see mid /upper green at full power.

• Like 1

My JPI alarms for high oil pressure whenever I go to full throttle if the oil isn't essentially hot.   First takeoff of the day always alarms, go arounds often alarm as well.   It typically alarms only once and then once the temp comes up the pressure quickly goes back down below the alarm level.

• Like 1

Just now, Ragsf15e said:

Sounds pretty normal to me.  With cool oil you’ll see higher pressure.  When you’re seeing normal oil temperatures around 180 you should see mid /upper green.

1 hour ago, gwav8or said:

Aborted takeoff.

OAT was 65-68.

Plane kept in a hangar.

Aeroshell 100 oil.

Any suggestions?

Also, still happens with multi weight oil but probably not as much.  Nothing wrong with 100 but as it cools, maybe consider Phillips xc 20w-50.

Hey all, yep y’all pretty much nailed it. Oil was still a bit cool. I went back and did a take off and pressure was in the warning range but at cruise it settled to about 80.

Edited by gwav8or
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gwav8or said:

Hey all, yep y’all pretty much nailed it. Oil was still a bit cool. I went back and did a take off and pressure was in the warming range but at cruise it settled to about 80.

After landing (oil 180+), you will likely see yellow range at 1000rpm too.  The lower yellow range though.  Again, normal.

• Like 1