West Coast Winter Flying

GaryP1007

17 hours ago, GaryP1007 said:

Where are the best places on the west coast to visit/fly-in to during the fall and winter months? I am based in the Phoenix area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a place in Pagosa Springs, CO, just a short hop from you. Fall you have amazing hikes with the changing trees, winter there is Wolf Creek Ski resort and the hot springs in town are always nice. Not the coast, but still beautiful.

57 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I like to fly into Palomar and stay in one of the nearby beach towns.

Palomar? where is that?

Mexico is great winter destination! After the new year, one of the bucket list trips is to go pet the California Gray Whales in the one of the lagoons in Baha. February-March is prime whale petting season. Great fun and typically done over a 3 day weekend. 

4 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Thanks, but your reference was right after saying "Mexico has a lot of interesting places." so I was assuming a Palomar in Mexico - not San Diego... Geesh!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Will.iam said:

I would be too afraid the locals might try to extort me for money to land or to tryto leave. 

Sounds like you have landed at one of the FBO's on my field! Ha Hah.

I've probably heard that 100's of times from folks that have obviously never visited Mexico in their plane. Seems every pilot has heard something disparaging like that including stolen/hijacked aircraft.

But flying in Mexico is usually cheaper than flying in the US; especially when it comes to gas. And we've never been extorted or anything close to it in over 20 years of flying south - unless you want to count $427 landing fees in Cuba but that was at least known in advance and planned for; except for an extra third airport.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 6:09 PM, kortopates said:

Sounds like you have landed at one of the FBO's on my field! Ha Hah.

I've probably heard that 100's of times from folks that have obviously never visited Mexico in their plane. Seems every pilot has heard something disparaging like that including stolen/hijacked aircraft.

But flying in Mexico is usually cheaper than flying in the US; especially when it comes to gas. And we've never been extorted or anything close to it in over 20 years of flying south - unless you want to count $427 landing fees in Cuba but that was at least known in advance and planned for; except for an extra third airport.

Paul! Ok I also have to give a +1 as I had some of the fears I saw posted above about flying my Mooney into Mexico, but I did a flight with you moons ago, and you showed me, was not only not a big ordeal, was great fun, to be able to fly into another country without a lot of AvGas! My advice if you can is to go to Mexico the first time with someone who is experienced (like @kortopates) and then, it will be no worries!

(The scenery alone along the coast changing from major development North of the border to complete vast unspoiled beaches was worth the flight alone!)

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 5:57 AM, mooneyflyer said:

Runway is in horrible shape. Could possibly damage nose gear.. be careful... do your homework

That’s a great pirep, as I was thinking of going back to furnace creek one of these days, thanks! 

10 hours ago, DCarlton said:

I’m visiting Death Valley in Feb….  Driving.  

Please update us on the Rwy condition.  I flew right by Furnace Creek in Oct and *REALLY* wanted to land.  But I couldn't find any recent info on the runway and have heard the stories similar to what @mooneyflyer was saying, so we flew right on by.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

Please update us on the Rwy condition.  I flew right by Furnace Creek in Oct and *REALLY* wanted to land.  But I couldn't find any recent info on the runway and have heard the stories similar to what @mooneyflyer was saying, so we flew right on by.

Runway is in horrible shape with heaves up to 2". Could really damage Mooney nose gear