A reminder to enjoy GA while its here

Immelman

Things change, and that can be hard to accept.

Over the past couple of years I've made it a project of sorts to land at as many fields in my home state of California as possible. A few times a year I'll go out on a fly-about and get a few more, sometimes staying overnight somewhere, sometimes making in a day-trip. Yesterday I completed the NW part of the state, filling in the rest of the blanks. Several strips up there are quite demanding to fly into in a Mooney, and I am not necessarily recommending you follow my foot-steps here.

For quite a number of years I wanted to land at Happy Camp..... yesterday was the day! No smoke! No wind! Great cool weather for mountain flying! Until during my NOTAM check  I discovered the field was closed, confirmed with X's on the ends, closed permanently as of this past March. Another one gone!

IMG_2969.jpg.695a5567b3523f327f70af921fe4b073.jpg

Since I began this project I noticed several fields in the state are still on the sectional, but have been closed for some time. Many of the other fields I've made a stop at show no signs of life, whether in the "bush", or closer to civilization. And of course we know about cities such as San Jose or Santa Monica trying to kill more well-utilized fields. Many are in absolutely beautiful and peaceful locales to stop and take a hike, camp, or ride a bike. But they're like visiting ghost towns. Brambles and grass growing through long cracks in the pavement, among other things. Its a wonder they're still open.

Its interesting to see what is happening in GA.... in one sense, instruction seems to be booming as airline flying is once again a lucrative career and pilots are in demand. On the other hand, so many fields are absolute ghost towns, under-utilized resources in some cases literally crumbling away. So go get it while you can.

A bright spot: Dunsmuir, CA, closed over the summer was resurfaced...

IMG_2952.jpg.0cb639cf3ee9f2389dd1f3b805cfe5b3.jpg

A common scene.... Scott Valley, CA

IMG_2962.JPG.1ee4e2b1e5137d5ba1ade5ed15467443.JPG

Klamath Glen, Andy McBeth.... a "follow the river" kind of approach, pick the path over the shortest of the trees.... Looks like a great place to spend some time. This is the one that had the brambles growing up everywhere. The ramp was particularly bad looking. I drove in here to check it out several years ago, and its gone downhill.

IMG_2999.jpg.266a97f61875091eff93e7d1879945bb.jpg

Under the ILS to Arcata lies Kneeland.... looks like it sees some use as a heli fire fighting base. Cows all around, what I did not see were the deer inside the airport fence until I was rolling out....

IMG_3013.jpg.878a128a43b1af90b7d7060085638f10.jpg

Don't land long!

IMG_3015.jpg.2bb9fbcab2ad8464e9a34c66eff3596b.jpg

On final to Eureka Murray..... last visit was on foot on a layover from when I flew a turboprop into nearby Arcata... the restaurant was good then, now it appears gone. At least there were some signs of life and use.

IMG_3016.jpg.7fca236fe8d79209a60874db64e1d893.jpg

Eureka Samoa..... I felt lucky to get in. The kind of place that can fog in on short notice. My touch and go, rolling the mains on and leaving seemed like a safe amount of time....

IMG_3025.jpg.aa4d6efbb6b9f56d06d82a22ca80627d.jpg

Edited by Immelman
grammar
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

I spent the night at Arcata once about 20 years ago. the airport was completely fogged in when it was time to leave. I was planning on going VFR and was contemplating filing, even though I don't like doing 0-0 takeoffs. 

Well after 1/2 hour the fog started to move out and 1/2 the runway was clear. I started the takeoff roll in zero viz (well maybe 100 ft) and when I broke out I took off.

I always wondered if that is legal? It doesn't really matter, its an uncontrolled field and there wasn't anybody there.

BTW it was rather spectacular going from low vis to clear sunshine.

It would be good bragging rights to say how many airports you have landed at. For about 20 years I used a homemade logging app. I had a function to show how many airports I had logged. It was somewhere around 350. I remember Gordon Baxter said he had landed at over 650 airports. 

I now use ForeFlight for logging. They don't have any way I can find to give that number. I will send them a software request.

Request sent...

27 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I spent the night at Arcata once about 20 years ago. the airport was completely fogged in when it was time to leave. I was planning on going VFR and was contemplating filing, even though I don't like doing 0-0 takeoffs. 

Well after 1/2 hour the fog started to move out and 1/2 the runway was clear. I started the takeoff roll in zero viz (well maybe 100 ft) and when I broke out I took off.

I always wondered if that is legal? It doesn't really matter, its an uncontrolled field and there wasn't anybody there.

I thought I recall there being an FAA legal interpretation letter that they considered flying in IMC in Class G to be a violation even though it's not prohibited specifically in the FAR's, but I forget the details.

15 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I thought I recall there being an FAA legal interpretation letter that they considered flying in IMC in Class G to be a violation even though it's not prohibited specifically in the FAR's, but I forget the details.

But I didn’t fly in IMC, I just started the takeoff roll in IMC. I didn’t take off till I was clear of clouds.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It would be good bragging rights to say how many airports you have landed at. For about 20 years I used a homemade logging app. I had a function to show how many airports I had logged. It was somewhere around 350. I remember Gordon Baxter said he had landed at over 650 airports. 

I now use ForeFlight for logging. They don't have any way I can find to give that number. I will send them a software request.

Another plug for https://myflightbook.com/. It will show you total airports visited, number of times you visited each one, along with first and last visit. It will even let you select an airport and it will show you all the flights in your logbook to or from that airport. Plus there is a little map showing the airports visited. I'm only at 87 airports.

image.png.5bafed86bc78c5ca2332d9fea6c82c37.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

If you're talking about ACV, it looks like there is class E airspace down to the surface so if the class E was effective, you cannot takeoff without an IFR clearance.  The exception would be class G where you do not need a clearance to operate IFR if you and the aircraft are certified (God knows I'm certifiable ;).  I'm thinking in your case you need to be VFR prior to commencing the takeoff roll but that is splitting hairs.

Ahh yes the good old VFR rules.

What is legal  = what does the observation say vs what airspace is it.  As I recall it has RVR as well, but only Seattle can tell you what that is. Part of another safe/legal matrix involving what part of the FAR, op spec, and what kind of airplane you're flying I suppose.

What is safe = ?

In the 4-square safe vs. legal matrix I think ACV can tick all of the boxes in the span of about 10 minutes, maybe less. As noted ACV is 'controlled' in the sense that it has class E to the surface. Non-towered, but the airspace is controlled. It also gets a fair amount of IFR traffic.

Edited by Immelman

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I am a myflighbook user. It says 395 as of yesterday.

But I have flown for a living for the past 10 years, that's cheating.

I have a feeling I will not surprass Bax.

To tell the truth I am not certain I will finish my project. Yesterday was the last of the really cool ones. Southeast California desert and a sprinkling of fields in the LA Basin and San Diego are all that remain. I have had the thought if I go hopping around enough down south it may look like I am a drug runner and attract unwanted attention.

Edited by Immelman

14 minutes ago, Immelman said:

I am a myflighbook user. It says 395 as of yesterday.

But I have flown for a living for the past 10 years, that's cheating.

I have a feeling I will not surprass Bax.

To tell the truth I am not certain I will finish my project. Yesterday was the last of the really cool ones. Southeast California desert and a sprinkling of fields in the LA Basin and San Diego are all that remain. I have had the thought if I go hopping around enough down south it may look like I am a drug runner and attract unwanted attention.

I have thought about trying to hit all the paved fields in AZ. I have to be over 95% And a few unpaved. I think I've hit over half in CA. You could be a real stud and do the paperwork and hit the military bases.

4 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I have thought about trying to hit all the paved fields in AZ. I have to be over 95% And a few unpaved. I think I've hit over half in CA. You could be a real stud and do the paperwork and hit the military bases.

I keep thinking I want to do an overnight camp at Grapevine, but haven't done it yet.   

42 minutes ago, Bigdaddie said:

If you're talking about ACV, it looks like there is class E airspace down to the surface so if the class E was effective, you cannot takeoff without an IFR clearance.  The exception would be class G where you do not need a clearance to operate IFR if you and the aircraft are certified (God knows I'm certifiable ;).  I'm thinking in your case you need to be VFR prior to commencing the takeoff roll but that is splitting hairs.

So, If I waited till I was 2000 feet from the cloud before I took off I would be good, or does rolling down the runway count? I suppose an airplane on approach could land on me if he never made a radio call, but the half in the cloud was below minimums.

15 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I keep thinking I want to do an overnight camp at Grapevine, but haven't done it yet.   

I've camped at Roosevelt Lake and landed at Grapevine, but never both. If you pull off into the desert to park at the north end it is a much shorter walk to the lake.

The lake isn't very hospitable at the bottom of the hill. No beaches.

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

I've camped at Roosevelt Lake and landed at Grapevine, but never both. If you pull off into the desert to park at the north end it is a much shorter walk to the lake.

Def, the kayak doesn't fit in the airplane, anyway, so for me it's not too big of a deal to not be closer to the water.    Camping at Grapevine during the week would be a good way to not be found if somebody was looking for you.  ;)

For the spectators; we have a local airstrip that is managed by the Forest Service and is remote in that it is not publically accessible by any means other than air.   It has picnic tables, fire pits, etc., and is suitable for camping.   There's generally nobody there, and the state pilot's association maintains the pavement, paint, etc.   The Forest Service uses it when needed as a wild fire base.   Since it's not a cost burden on the public and the land is protected I keep my fingers crossed that it is at low risk of getting closed.

7 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

So, If I waited till I was 2000 feet from the cloud before I took off I would be good, or does rolling down the runway count? I suppose an airplane on approach could land on me if he never made a radio call, but the half in the cloud was below minimums.

It all depends on where "flight" begins.  It's my interpretation that flight starts at the application of power for takeoff.  So, in your situation, if the takeoff roll started down the runway a bit with VFR Wx, I would call that good.  If that class E airspace was not active, you would be good to go in 0/0 to either 700’ or 1,200’ (where class E airspace starts) where you would need a clearance if not in VFR conditions.

I flew around one winter in the central valley of CA where we get the Tule fog.  Airlines were cancelling flights because the visibility in Fresno was below Cat 1 minimums.  I flew into Chowchilla with ease because the fog was only a few feet thick, and I could see the airport all the way down to the flare but I was then in class G airspace.  I remember driving home thinking man this fog is bad.  The approach and landing were surprisingly easy because I had the runway in sight all the way to touchdown.  Taxiing was a different story.

25 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Def, the kayak doesn't fit in the airplane..

Eric,

This one does, inflatable one!! Got it last summer and my wife and I used it few times while camping at Cavanaugh Bay (66S). It's really a decent kayak. 

M20+K2.jpg

34 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Def, the kayak doesn't fit in the airplane, anyway, so for me it's not too big of a deal to not be closer to the water.    Camping at Grapevine during the week would be a good way to not be found if somebody was looking for you.  ;)

For the spectators; we have a local airstrip that is managed by the Forest Service and is remote in that it is not publically accessible by any means other than air.   It has picnic tables, fire pits, etc., and is suitable for camping.   There's generally nobody there, and the state pilot's association maintains the pavement, paint, etc.   The Forest Service uses it when needed as a wild fire base.   Since it's not a cost burden on the public and the land is protected I keep my fingers crossed that it is at low risk of getting closed.

I have one too. It’s just a one seater. You can borrow it if you want.

image.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Eric,

This one does, inflatable one!! Got it last summer and my wife and I used it few times while camping at Cavanaugh Bay (66S). It's really a decent kayak. 

M20+K2.jpg

A friend has one of those and I helped get it sorted out and inflated the first time they used it.   They're okay, and def an option if I really needed to put something in the airplane, but so far those needs haven't overlapped enough to make it worthwhile.  ;)

If landing at a lot of different airports is your goal, go work for a fractional.  After 30 years of Navy and airline flying,  I had only landed at about 100 different locations....I hadn't even landed at all the airports served by my airline.

After the first 12 years with the fractional I was up to well over 650 airports...I'm not sure what the total was when I quit.  The rich and the famous definitely fly into some unusual locations...some of them private airports.

Question for you carrier pilots:  if you land on the same carrier, but it changes locations, does that count toward a different airport?  :D

Edited by Mooneymite

19 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Request sent...

I use SafeLog Pro, and it will do a filter for airports.  I am somewhere in the mid 100 range.

We've been concentrating our nervous energy on getting angry at noise-complainers, tree huggers, MacMansion developers, bureaucrats, gami gas blockers; but maybe one insidious contributor to the death of GA is ... pilots!  At least the unpassionate ones.  I just see fewer and fewer people flying.  Honestly, when everybody was buying planes during covid, pushing prices sky high, a part of me was saying that maybe they are also buying out all those hangar queens, bringing them back to the skies, which eventually helps the cause.  Is it like all those people are now plane poor, and cannot afford avgas?  Yes, of course, it's more expensive now.  I've cut back my flying, too.  But, I still try to go up...  When I first joined our airport 5 years ago as an instructor for a local school, it was busy!  You would have to extend your downwind or orbit for spacing, you name it.  Because there were people!  Now it feels like they couldn't shut down airports with noise complaints, but airports will shut down because they go too quiet :(