Overfly Canadian Airspace?

Looking at east central Michigan to Reading PA for the MAPA PPP later this week. Departing Lapeer (D95) to KRDG takes me directly over Lake Erie and through Canadian airspace. For easy planning and shortest time over water, the route looks like D95 FOWEL KRDG.

My question is:  Are there any fees associated with flying through Canadian airspace if you don't land in Canada? I've already reviewed the AOPA Canada flying guide, but it's a bit confusing. My flight originates and (God willing) terminates at a US airport.

TIA

22 minutes ago, Stetson20 said:

Looking at east central Michigan to Reading PA for the MAPA PPP later this week. Departing Lapeer (D95) to KRDG takes me directly over Lake Erie and through Canadian airspace. For easy planning and shortest time over water, the route looks like D95 FOWEL KRDG.

My question is:  Are there any fees associated with flying through Canadian airspace if you don't land in Canada? I've already reviewed the AOPA Canada flying guide, but it's a bit confusing. My flight originates and (God willing) terminates at a US airport.

TIA

If youre on flight following and talking to a canadian controller, youll probably be billed 20 bucks for navcan for the quarter.

8 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

If youre on flight following and talking to a canadian controller, youll probably be billed 20 bucks for navcan for the quarter.

So does that bill get sent to me via mail or I need to go pay online or ??

It's worth it to cut the corner on the flight, IMO.

1 hour ago, Stetson20 said:

So does that bill get sent to me via mail or I need to go pay online or ??

It's worth it to cut the corner on the flight, IMO.

Theyll send you a letter to your house if the plane is registered there. You then call nav canada, leave a voicemail. theyll call you back in 2 to 3 days and you pay then. That how i did it. It was quite easy. Took maybe 5 to 10 minutes of my time all together added up. That is if you even get a bill.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I don’t know what the situation is today.  Years ago when flying into Troy Michigan, I was definitely handed off to Toronto while over the lake for the trip there and the return home but never received a bill. I can’t say if that’s still the case today. I bet @Fly Boomer knows.

Nope.  No experience with that.

2 hours ago, Niko182 said:

That’s my experience, the bill came to the address that was on the aircraft registration, it was in Canadian dollars. I sent them a check in US dollars, as I never heard anything back I assume they were OK with that.

That was maybe 20 years ago though.

No big deal, what’s $20 compared to more open water, probably burn more fuel staying out of Canadian airspace

• Like 1

Take the risk… see if they bill you… :)

Coming back from KOSH… there is a tiny portion of Canada tag gets over flown…

Water temps are cooling off… flight following would be a great idea… to go with the flotation devices…  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I do this pretty often, usually end up going east of the Windsor airspace heading up to Sandusky MI, talking to Approach when VFR or IFR, and have not been billed for any transitioning of the Canadian airspace.  Detroit usually needs to move you east of their airspace for the arrivals and down to 5000' over Lake St Clair when heading north, going south I usually start a climb up to 10'000 which is where I want to be anyway heading home, it seems to work for their incoming traffic and I'm more comfortable crossing the lakes.  Detroit controllers are some of the best I've ever worked with, they really seem to understand the challenges of weather (like needing to get low early or staying high longer to prevent icing going through clouds) and working the traffic flow between the slow guys (us) and the fast traffic arriving and departing. Enjoy your flight!

Just one more thought, I'm always with Detroit/Great Lakes approach when doing this, not sure if that matters billing wise but they never hand me over to Canadian ATC?

• Like 2

You can read all about NavCanada fees here:

https://www.navcanada.ca/en/corporate/service-charges.aspx

The pertinent passage for your question is, on page 7:
"A foreign-registered aircraft is charged on the basis of the first recorded arrival into a Canadian aerodrome or entry into Canadian airspace, excluding flights between two points in the U.S., during each quarter of the annual fee period."

Jon

Edited by 4cornerflyer
  • Like 3

Probably a moot point anyway. Looking at the weather tomorrow, it looks like south over Detroit to Toledo area, then fly east parallel to Lake Erie. Weather is still in the area between DTW and Erie, PA. Starting from Lapeer (D95), I’ll need to go south around the clouds and associated freezing levels.

But thanks for the input. I may take the shortcut going home to MI.

• Thanks 1

Check your glide ratio… and select a good starting altitude…

Chances are… you won’t have any engine problems for that short distance that isn’t covered by your glide range…

And know… we have one MSer that lost OilP while over the Great Lakes…. JL’s oil quick drain experience…?

Fuzzy PP memories only…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1