Design specs of a laminar wing…. DarkAero series…

carusoam

Gents,

I watched this one today…

Pictured Al Mooney going through a similar effort about 60 years ago…. Without the white board and color markers…

This is pretty much wing configuration 101…

Interesting for people that are not at the level of Aero-engineer…   :)

DarkAero is a team of brothers, working on designing and building a two seat, retractable, speedster…. With skills from cad, to digitally controlled milling, to composite structures….

They also maintain their normal jobs, so this build project will take some time….

More likely to succeed then the Raptor project….   Not as well funded as the Patys…

:)

Enjoy,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 10:41 PM, hais said:

I've been following them for a while, very informative. I thought I've earned a degree in aeronautical engineering just by watching them :)

On 10/17/2022 at 1:18 PM, carusoam said:

Gents,

I watched this one today…

Pictured Al Mooney going through a similar effort about 60 years ago…. Without the white board and color markers…

This is pretty much wing configuration 101…

Interesting for people that are not at the level of Aero-engineer…   :)

Great video!!

Thank you for sharing it!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I predict they will open that cowling up some soon after it flies. That’s not a Rotax is it?

I haven’t watched it, but winglets on GA aircraft are a fashion statement as we don’t cruise at high AOA, although I have a friend who has an STC for them on a twin beech who swears they increase climb rate, but I bet they slightly reduce cruise speed too.

OK I looked at it, the slider on the bottom indicates the subject which I really like, the why don’t we have winglets is about 12 min in, and the kid does a very good job of explaining why not.

I would have expected larger wing root fillets too, reason we don’t have them is they would make it difficult to get in and out of the aircraft I’m sure.

If they don’t get eaten up by “Creeping Elegance” they will be successful as they have it seems a lot more knowledge than most builders.

14 minutes ago, 1001001 said:

The engine is a UL Power UL520iS.  https://ulpower.com/en/engines/ul520/ul520is

I wonder where 520 came from? 5L is 305 cu in so they are maybe a 320 without doing the math, so that makes 200 HP impressive

Where do you find 97 Octane Mogas?

And yes I think as it’s air cooled they are opening up the inlet.

Too bad they aren’t going with a proven aircraft engine, that would allow them to not worry about engine stuff, develop the airframe then once it’s complete go for the Experimental engine.

58 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I wonder where 520 came from? 5L is 305 cu in so they are maybe a 320 without doing the math, so that makes 200 HP impressive

Where do you find 97 Octane Mogas?

And yes I think as it’s air cooled they are opening up the inlet.

Too bad they aren’t going with a proven aircraft engine, that would allow them to not worry about engine stuff, develop the airframe then once it’s complete go for the Experimental engine.

It's a 5.2 liter engine, specifications are at the link.

Edited by 1001001

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, 1001001 said:

It's a 5.2 liter engine, specifications are at the link.

OK so 5.2 liters is what about 320 cu in? OK, so 520 is just 5.2 remove the decimal and add a zero?

I feel sure they would be closer to getting the speed they want with an IO-360 200HP, because it’s not at all hard to get 225 HP out of one, helicopters do. I bet it would hold up to 250 for 5 min or so.

It’s got very little wetted area and a wasp tail, there is a lot of drag in our tail shape, so it’s going to be faster surely, but 65 kts faster?  Maybe not, 65 is a really big number.