How do I change bulb

larrynimmo

17 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

Does anyone know the simplist way to change the light bulb?

m20j gear down indicator

02C68E9A-F521-484F-9B9A-1CE61A541CF7.jpeg

Normally there is a small retainer nut which holds the bulb in place.  A 5/16” ignition wrench is helpful in removing the nut. It’s under the lens in your picture, the light socket stays in place.

4 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I’ve never done it, but here is how I would do it.

loosen the nut holding the socket then unscrew the nut till it slides down the wire . Then push the socket up and out of the bracket. The. It will be hanging down so you can get to the bulb.

That works as well, until the socket turns and twists off the wire.

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Why would the socket turn?

Not everyone is as skilled as you and I!  I’ve learned that where a mistake can be made, someone will find a way to do it, costing someone time and money to correct.

I’m thinking this is easier than we suppose, I’ve not done it but think bending an ignition wrench will get it loose, then it’s just spin it with my fingers, then replace bulb and tighten with fingers, snug with wrench.

I’ve got an LED that will I believe be brighter, and last forever

7 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I’ve got an LED that will I believe be brighter, and last forever

Keep in mind…

This bulb is often a 24V bulb in a 12V application that produces a dimmed output intentionally…

People that fly in the dark must appreciate the low output bulb…

PP thoughts only…

Best regards,

-a-

48 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

It’s only lit when the gear are down? I’ll get over it. 

‘Isn’t it dimmed when the position lights are on? If so mind are always on due to my ADSB

Floor light is powered by the gear down limit switch. It doesn't dim -- only the gear down light on the annunciator panel dims with nav lights.

On 10/19/2022 at 1:29 AM, carusoam said:

Keep in mind…

This bulb is often a 24V bulb in a 12V application that produces a dimmed output intentionally…

People that fly in the dark must appreciate the low output bulb…

PP thoughts only…

Best regards,

-a-

True the LED is very bright, but a quick glimpse will confirm whether it's illuminated or not. Years ago I had an issue with the Gear annunciator light and looking down during daytime didn't help the situation since the floor bulb was so dim. Now there's no doubt, and if it's too bright for night flying, it can be easily covered.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

True the LED is very bright, but a quick glimpse will confirm whether it's illuminated or not. Years ago I had an issue with the Gear annunciator light and looking down during daytime didn't help the situation since the floor bulb was so dim. Now there's no doubt, and if it's too bright for night flying, it can be easily covered.

Click and Clack The Tappet Brothers, advised a piece of electrical tape to cover an idiot in some circumstances.  I like your idea. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 5:39 PM, flyboy0681 said:

Finally remembered to take a picture while on the ground. Replacing the dim incandescent with a bright LED has made the task of checking the gear so much easier.

Gear_Floor_Light.JPG

• Like 5

Nice improvement with the LED, I should do that too.

The 1982-vintage plastic covering our gear indicator light had gotten cloudy, scratched up, and faded, like yours is a bit.  It was getting hard to read the indicator during the day, although you could tell if it was red or green under there.  I spent 2 minutes polishing it with some polishing compound and a damp cloth and it cleared right up.  Might help also.