Reminder: check the emergency gear extension lever cover before departure

rbp

If the gear extension cover isn't latched down, when you go to raise the gear, he CB will pop and the gear will not go up. 

My pre-departure checklist now has an extra step

FWIW -- here's my flow rolling on to the runway

1, 2, 3, 4 -- elevator trim, wing flaps, rudder trim, cowl flap indicators all in the T/O position (top to bottom)

5, 6, 7, 8 -- Boost pump on, prop forward, mixture forward, squawk VFR (or not) (L to R)

new: 4 1/2 -- emergency gear handle latched and closed 

• Like 1

Good reminder - much has been posted on this subject:

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q="gear latch"&quick=1&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

In 1999 I flew a friend from San Antonio to Fort Worth in my Bravo. Another friend came along for the ride. No problem on the way there. On the way back after a long day and nice dinner we take off and I pull up the gear switch after take-off and I notice soon after that our climb rate is not good. I look down on the floor and the gear is still down. I try everything I know how to do and nothing, so we fly back at Cessna 172 speeds. I'm envisioning a huge bill, gear motor, etc. The next day I taxi over to Lone Star Mooney at KSAT (no longer around). I explain the situation to Dennis Bernhard and I see him getting a big smile on his face. He reaches in and closes the latch and tells me that it happens to everyone at least once. He was right. I now always include that in my briefing to passengers on entry and exit and in my checklist.

On 10/17/2022 at 8:27 AM, rbp said:

If the gear extension cover isn't latched down, when you go to raise the gear, he CB will pop and the gear will not go up. 

My pre-departure checklist now has an extra step

FWIW -- here's my flow rolling on to the runway

1, 2, 3, 4 -- elevator trim, wing flaps, rudder trim, cowl flap indicators all in the T/O position (top to bottom)

5, 6, 7, 8 -- Boost pump on, prop forward, mixture forward, squawk VFR (or not) (L to R)

new: 4 1/2 -- emergency gear handle latched and closed 

Good flow. Been there/done that forgetting to check the latch and wondering what was going on when I tried raising the gear.

• 1 month later...

I fly quite a few Angel Flight patients and most of them have never been in a light aircraft, so we discuss this in pre-flight. Usually I wait until we are in the aircraft and show it to them at the same time I am describing the exits, etc. I also put it in my checklist and check it before takeoff every time. It becomes habit to reach down between the seats and verify that the latch is closed. Knock on wood.