Jump to content

Rate my panel


Recommended Posts

Hello, esteemed board.

I want to run my planned set up by you.  I finally decided to buy JPI900 and now planning future layout of my 67F. 

Some of the major items:

1. Moving the KLN89 to the right to join the PS audio panel

2. Installing 900 in place of KLN89.

3. Removing 1-cyl EGT gauge above yoke. 

4. Removing the MP/Fuel pressure gauge.

5. Removing  engine cluster 

6. Removing the RPM tach.

7. Removing the JPI 450 Fuel flow 

What are your thoughts about this plan?

image.png.22ad2f58d3d90c1200f7eb572b52e43b.png  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If moving the KLN89 causes a large Re-installation challenge…

+1 for adding a WAAS based receiver in its place…

It helps to know…

1) Is this a forever-plane?

2) Do you fly in IMC?

3) Retiring the TC to add another AI is a good idea…

4) what do you have for WAAS/ADSB-out?

5) If still using timed approaches… move the clock closer…. :)

6) there is another thread around here lately… about updating the panel to the more modern 8-pack arrangement…  the better layout will help organize what you have while adding the JPI in place…

 

7) The JPI 900 is a great idea… learn to get the data out of it, and store it at Savvy…

 

PP thoughts only,

-a-

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, carusoam said:

If moving the KLN89 causes a large Re-installation challenge…

+1 for adding a WAAS based receiver in its place…

It helps to know…

1) Is this a forever-plane?

2) Do you fly in IMC?

3) Retiring the TC to add another AI is a good idea…

4) what do you have for WAAS/ADSB-out?

5) If still using timed approaches… move the clock closer…. :)

6) there is another thread around here lately… about updating the panel to the more modern 8-pack arrangement…  the better layout will help organize what you have while adding the JPI in place…

 

7) The JPI 900 is a great idea… learn to get the data out of it, and store it at Savvy…

 

PP thoughts only,

-a-

Thank you, Anthony!

1. As far as I think right now, yes - forever plane.  I have no plans to grow the plane anymore beyond this 67F. 

2. I dont fly IMC yet.  Still working on my quals

3. Retiring TC.  I will postpone my 6pack upgrade to next year or year after to cancel the vacuum. This year I just want to focus on introducing the most logical setup for 900.

4. No WAAS, my ADSB out is a wingtip

5. Good point on clock, back to #2.

6.  I will look around for the other thread. Please let me know if you will remember the title.

7. THank you, I love Mike's stuff.

Were you at Summit? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Why not just replace engine cluster gauges with 900, they look to be about the same size. Remove other factory engine gauges.

Then I would replace entire radio stack in the future.

Your suggestion makes perfect sense. The reason for centered location for 900 is so I can have it closer to my field of view and scan. But I supposed I can connect it to my audio panel and just have the JPI give me a callouts for any engine troubles on the audio to bring my attention?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

See if you can find what is being offered here…

and yes! I was at Mooney Summit with a few hundred of my closest Mooney friends….   :)

Always dressed in typical Mooney garb… often touring the ramp discussing various Mooneys and their updates…


Best regards,

-a-

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your suggestion makes perfect sense. The reason for centered location for 900 is so I can have it closer to my field of view and scan. But I supposed I can connect it to my audio panel and just have the JPI give me a callouts for any engine troubles on the audio to bring my attention?  

No audio, but it does have a warning light that you can place in view and will alert you when any limits are being exceeded.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I bought my Mooney back in the spring it was a fairly original panel. It did have an older Garmin GPS. I thought my first upgrade was going to be some fancy moving map GPs with all sorts of nice color and bells and whistles galore.

What actually happened is that I flew the plane for a while and realized I was constantly craning my neck to see the Tach, MP, and EGT/CHT on the far right of the panel. I wanted that closer, so I removed those and upgraded to a CGR-30P which I placed in the center of the panel. I'm really happy with this upgrade and feel it was better money spent than fancy navigators and AHRS stuff. I feel much more confident and informed on engine management as well.

All this to say that IMO your engine analyzer upgrade is the best money spent and might end up saving you money.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like it. When I first got my 231 about a decade ago one of the first things I did with the panel was to install an all-primary 930 and take out all the engine gauges. They were scattered all over the panel and one or two were always failing. One of the biggest problems was that the MP was all the way over on the far right side of the panel and in the 231, throttle and MP management is a must, particularly on takeoff, so instead of looking at the runway on takeoff I was always looking over at that gauge. I did what you are going to, I brought the engine gauges into the pilot’s normal scan. It has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I think the KLN89 is fine if you are just now working on your instrument. It is not a bad idea to start at the very manual level where you fly the plane yourself and mostly have CDIs for guidance. When you start flying real IMC those skills are very important. For example, on rare occasions I have had the AP fail to couple to the glideslope or the glideslope fails to indicate on the HSI/CDI. Now all of a sudden you need to take over and fly the approach by hand, or convert to an LOC in an instant and fly that by hand. Things on your panel fail and you have to have and constantly practice the skills needed to stay out of trouble.

That said, the most important improvements I have made to my panel over the years were the installation of a high quality WAAS GPS and moving map. The ability to get a good weather picture is invaluable and life-saving, and way better than just a decade ago when we were still relying on radio briefings from ATC or Flight Services. Now we can even get traffic, terrain, lots of invaluable information. Much, much safer. The GTN 750 or the Aspen or Avidyne equivalents is a great addition for the future budget.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, jlunseth said:

I like it. When I first got my 231 about a decade ago one of the first things I did with the panel was to install an all-primary 930 and take out all the engine gauges. They were scattered all over the panel and one or two were always failing. One of the biggest problems was that the MP was all the way over on the far right side of the panel and in the 231, throttle and MP management is a must, particularly on takeoff, so instead of looking at the runway on takeoff I was always looking over at that gauge. I did what you are going to, I brought the engine gauges into the pilot’s normal scan. It has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I think the KLN89 is fine if you are just now working on your instrument. It is not a bad idea to start at the very manual level where you fly the plane yourself and mostly have CDIs for guidance. When you start flying real IMC those skills are very important. For example, on rare occasions I have had the AP fail to couple to the glideslope or the glideslope fails to indicate on the HSI/CDI. Now all of a sudden you need to take over and fly the approach by hand, or convert to an LOC in an instant and fly that by hand. Things on your panel fail and you have to have and constantly practice the skills needed to stay out of trouble.

That said, the most important improvements I have made to my panel over the years were the installation of a high quality WAAS GPS and moving map. The ability to get a good weather picture is invaluable and life-saving, and way better than just a decade ago when we were still relying on radio briefings from ATC or Flight Services. Now we can even get traffic, terrain, lots of invaluable information. Much, much safer. The GTN 750 or the Aspen or Avidyne equivalents is a great addition for the future budget.

Thank you. I'm looking into Aspen to delete my vacuum system within next 48 months after I will recoup from JPI900 install :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are doing panel work might as well go whole hog.   It takes double the amount of time to do it in two steps rather than just all of it at once.   That said I still don't think the stand alone engine monitors are that great of a value.   Might as well do EMS on a 7 inch screen and then you get all the other value of spare flight instruments.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

image.png.ac9cc9a485d4f8f763135da914d77e20.png

Ok, the project is shaping up. We removed all the old engine instruments.

Now I want to install the panel fascia that would cover the old holes from legacy avionics (see yellow field). I want this fascia to also have cutouts for the avionics that I will retain until I will win the lottery.

Some of the decisions that I'm facing:

1. Make the panel myself or find the specialty shop that can make this panel fascia? Does anyone have a lead on the good shop?

2. Make this fascia out of metal and then powder coat it or get a fancy carbon-fiber fascia?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You should be able to find a plastic panel overlay from Plane Plastics that will fit your right side panel.  The openings for each instrument have to be cut out.  Also, IMO I wouldn’t put anything in the center stack that’s not NAV COMM related.  You might very well want the space later for an upgrade.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why not cut a full panel from scratch. The vintage panels are pretty straigh forward. Get rid of the shotgun panel, more some stuff around and install the jpi900 in the left side panel. Also i'd get rid of that gps. It isn' worth anything, and foreflight will do everything it does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Why not cut a full panel from scratch. The vintage panels are pretty straigh forward. Get rid of the shotgun panel, more some stuff around and install the jpi900 in the left side panel. Also i'd get rid of that gps. It isn' worth anything, and foreflight will do everything it does.

The KLN89B is still certified for IFR Enroute and allows you to legally file /G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The KLN89B is still certified for IFR Enroute and allows you to legally file /G.

I guess we dont know if its an 89 or an 89B. The 89b is available for ifr enroute. I believe the 89 is not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Niko182 said:

I guess we dont know if its an 89 or an 89B. The 89b is available for ifr enroute. I believe the 89 is not.

Good point. Its an 89B. But I'm still VFR for another year (not certified for IFR yet) or so. I can definitely see your point on ditching the 89b.

I would cut a full panel, but I'm still saving up for the left panel update...It will be couple of years before I will be ready to this, and I'm still deciding how my left side will look (dual G-5/Aspen/G3x?). So focusing on the right side for now.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One more question on the template building. I thought about using a clear vinyl sheet to trace the outline of the right side panel. Something similar to this material: https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Vinyl-Fabric-Wide-Gauge/dp/B01N18L85Z?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A35NCMPGL9UC2&th=1

Is this most efficient way of doing it?

Happy thanksgiving!

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.