Crossing Houston E-W to land at Sugar Land

mhrivnak

What's the best way to get across Houston E-W from Lake Charles (LCH) to Sugar Land (SGR)? I'm going to make a trip from NC, and Lake Charles seems like a good stopping point for a break and cheap fuel.

Should I go VFR and ask for a bravo transition? Would they send me between IAH and HOU, or maybe vector me around the south? Or should I go VFR on my own under the bravo between IAH and HOU, at the flyway chart's recommended 1500ft? Or should I head south to the coast and follow it west for a more scenic route that keeps me on the south side of the bravo? Or something else?

All PIREPS appreciated!

Just take the I-10 corridor, and ask the controller for flight following through the Corridor. Also, pick an odd altitude number like 14 or 1600 because everybody else uses even numbers around there. General etiquette as you stay on the right side of the highway when you have room from the class B.

• Like 1

KLBX (Texas Gulf Coat) is also a great airport with an excellent runway. If you want to fly down the coastline, that is a nice alternative…

Fuel is cheaper I believe. 

On the River restaurant is ~15 minutes from the airport by crew car. The restaurant on field is good too..

-Don