Garmin 430 screen failure

Mark89114

14 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

$1735 to be exact, does it affect your ability to read the screen when it’s on?

Still perfectly readable, but they just seemed to appear in last couple of months.  I am just wondering if it will get worse.

The screen on my 430 sort of flickers when you first turn it on. Like it is missing horizontal line sections from left to right, remaining dim and flickering, and then after a couple of minutes it works like new. Anyone ever seen this issue?

On 10/2/2022 at 10:50 AM, Mark89114 said:

Looks like both of them are starting to delaminate/discolor.  How much worse do you think it will get?  Someone told me flat repair repair is up to $1800 at garmin these days.  

20221002_113813.jpg

Sent mine to Garmin last year; came back looking "like new".  They replaced the battery, either replaced or repaired a board (would have to look at invoice again), and replaced the display.  I thought it was well worth it relative to the install price of a new unit.  

• Like 1

My 430 screen was not as bad as yours, but still pretty bad. I bit the bullet and sent it back to them for the expensive refurb. I hope it will be good for another 15 years. Saying it in years sounds a lot better than saying the number of hours use I got out of the original. 

I guess I was looking for someone to tell me definitely that parts were not available for repair.  would make my decision easier, do I spend 10 AMU on new avidyne box, 17 for garmin box or 2 amu for repairing this one and kicking the eventual upgrade down the road.  my friend says not to spend one more nickel on the 430, but he is also a lot more spendy than me.  One thought I had is get a new box for primary, be it garmin or avidyne and then repair radio 2.  Spends 15 amu pretty quick.  I am a big believer in waiting.......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, philiplane said:

Send it in for the flat rate repair so you get all new screen, buttons, and knobs. Garmin has an LED screen now too, which is much better. I just got a 530 back with this repair done. Good for another 15 years. 

Hey, is the LED screen part of the flat rate repair, or is it an extra thingey?

Edited by jaylw314

6 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Hey, is the LED screen part of the flat rate repair, or is it an extra thingey?

is is part of the flat rate and adds $200 to the cost. A 530W is now $2200 with the LED screen. I don't think you have a choice, if they are out of the original screens.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

I guess I was looking for someone to tell me definitely that parts were not available for repair.  would make my decision easier, do I spend 10 AMU on new avidyne box, 17 for garmin box or 2 amu for repairing this one and kicking the eventual upgrade down the road.  my friend says not to spend one more nickel on the 430, but he is also a lot more spendy than me.  One thought I had is get a new box for primary, be it garmin or avidyne and then repair radio 2.  Spends 15 amu pretty quick.  I am a big believer in waiting.......

6 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

They are 430W boxes

I tend to agree with your philosophy.   The myriad of new boxes don't give you any greater precision or capability than your 430W. This is not like technology/equipment upgrades of the past going from VOR to LORAN to GPS to WAAS. The new boxes do give you better and bigger graphics, maybe touch screen and depending on your level of current glass in your pane you can get more integration of data.  Some boxes may give you more data than is on your current GNS430W but I bet your iPad mini with Foreflight gives you more.  It is like art or wine - you can spend and spend incredible amounts to give you just a bit more incremental improvement. I don't think you will get away with spending only 10-17 amu - real costs will be more and the improvement is small.  You could drop 80 amu real fast for a nice panel that doesnt make your plane any faster or safer.  If you want real improvement, you need to add a new GFC autopilot and wait for an all Garmin suite including  with AutoLand.  Of course if you make all this investment you will not get your money back when you sell - so it begs the question of how long will you be flying and owning this plane.

BTW - I had my GNS430W overhauled by Garmin last year rather than spend mega bucks on a new panel upgrade.

Edited by 1980Mooney

I tend to agree with your philosophy.   The myriad of new boxes don't give you any greater precision or capability than your 430W. This is not like technology/equipment upgrades of the past going from VOR to LORAN to GPS to WAAS. The new boxes do give you better and bigger graphics, maybe touch screen and depending on your level of current glass in your pane you can get more integration of data.  Some boxes may give you more data than is on your current GNS430W but I bet your iPad mini with Foreflight gives you more.  It is like art or wine - you can spend and spend incredible amounts to give you just a bit more incremental improvement.

New boxes aren’t just better screens, they have more capability: holds, airways, vnav, smart glide, simpler database update, ….

If you don’t have a modern autopilot some of the functionality is not utilized.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

New boxes aren’t just better screens, they have more capability: holds, airways, vnav, smart glide, simpler database update, ….

If you don’t have a modern autopilot some of the functionality is not utilized.

True - they are marginally better.  But if you have ForeFlight with a ProPlan on an iPad that can communicate with your panel (ie Garmin FlightStream) you get 95%+ of all the same data for a few percent of the cost.  And if you generally fly VFR into airports that have approaches you can dial in the approach in the background to provide a flightpath on final as additional vertical and lateral guidance.

And your last point highlights the issue.  "Modern" meaning "digital" autopilot.  And all the boxes need to play well together which isn't a priority or in the interest of Garmin to accommodate all brand combinations.  All it takes is $$$ money to get on the Garmin hamster wheel.

This is a recent frank reflection - 

Just ask yourself @Mark89114

• How much do you plan to fly and how often might you even use these features.
  • Do you enjoy hand flying the plane or would you prefer to have more and more automation that will fly holds and VFR approaches - (So that you can spend more time to be more of a button pusher)
  • How many $thousands would you pay to save a few minutes with a "simpler database update"
  • How much are you willing to invest knowing that you will only get about 50% back at the time your sell your plane.- an easy 80 AMU?  More?
  • And how much are you willing to invest knowing that Garmin is motivated to find a way to entice you to spend an equal amount in the next ten years (ie make you feel like what you have is obsolete - "on the hamster wheel")

If the answer is "Yes" - then just get out the checkbook and "see a Garmin Dealer" like the ad says......

garmin.png.afa9bb6aca06624d6837596756b3df94.png

Edited by 1980Mooney

And your last point highlights the issue.  "Modern" meaning "digital" autopilot.  And all the boxes need to play well together which isn't a priority or in the interest of Garmin to accommodate all brand combinations.  All it takes is $$$ money to get on the Garmin hamster wheel.
How much are you willing to invest knowing that you will only get about 50% back at the time your sell your plane.- an easy 80 AMU?  More?
  • And how much are you willing to invest knowing that Garmin is motivated to find a way to entice you to spend an equal amount in the next ten years (ie make you feel like what you have is obsolete

• Garmin is a company, companies are created to provide goods and services to make money. Whether it’s Garmin, Apple, BMW, etc, they will try to entice you to buy other products. I don’t see this as a negative. At least they provide products, not vaporware that other companies hype with no end in sight. We’ve had other companies want money BEFORE they even had the product certified!

Easy 80 AMUs will get you a completely new panel. But yeah, you won’t get it all back when you sell, more like 40 in vintage planes, a bit more in modern planes. So if it’s not your forever plane, probably better off not putting money into it.
    • Like 3