Portable Oxygen System Recommendations

Chris Briley

I have a 70 M20F and am looking at oxygen systems for flying in the low teens.   I've researched SkyOx, Aerox and Mountain High.   The price difference between SkyO (acquired by Aerox BTW) and Mountain High isn't insignificant.   I'm looking at a 2 person system with a 15 or 22 cubic feet tank. 

I'd appreciate any recommendations or feedback on your experience with either, specifically is there value in paying more for Mountain High? 

Thanks,

Chris

3 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Mountain high O2D2 with whatever tank you like. It’ll make your bottle last forever, automatically goes on at a set altitude and works flawlessly

THIS ^^^

The O2D2 system is a must. We fly on the O2 every time we fly and the O2D2 is a game changer. It makes the O2 last much longer. We fly ~150 hours a year and I wouldn't want to be without it.

This is just a math problem.  The O2D2 takes a lot of O2 to pay its $1000 price tag.  I would figure out how often you need O2 and go from there.  The bottles are all the same. 

I have a turbo and a bottle will easily last me a year solo without my X3.  I bought it because it didn’t use batteries and I like to waste money on my airplane with toys.  There is no financial benefit to having it as it costs me @$50 to fill my bottle.  I do not intend to fly for 20 more years.   

I also smoke like a chimney and don’t use O2 unless above 12500.  Never had an issue, not saying it hurts to suck O2 but I have never really noticed any difference flying around usually 9-11000 smoking cigarettes for hours on end.  I will probably die of cancer but don’t think lack of O2 will contribute to that. 

• Haha 1

Another very satisfied Mountain High O2D2 user.  Spend lots of time in the teens.  I initially probably wouldn’t have spent the money on one, but I inherited one that was in my Cirrus when I bought it.  Now, I would never not have one.  Also, their cannulas that are for the o2d2 system are very nice.  

18 hours ago, hubcap said:

THIS ^^^

The O2D2 system is a must. We fly on the O2 every time we fly and the O2D2 is a game changer. It makes the O2 last much longer. We fly ~150 hours a year and I wouldn't want to be without it.

THIS ^^^^^

Also a big fan.

And there is the convenience.  You don't have to hunt down a refill as often.

• Like 1

I rarely ever use O2, so therefore having a pulse demand system is of no real use, so it depends on how much you use it.

Trying to remember who made mine, Skyox I think. I’ve had it probably 20 years, thing about a pure mechanical system is that they last a long time as there isn’t much to break

Thing about not using O2 at mid altitudes is you don’t really notice the degradation of your mental faculties, but it’s there, and your vision suffers too, especially at night.

WWII Bomber crews were kids and as such were much more physically fit than average Money driver, and I believe they went on O2 at 10,000.

Sure you can fly even above 12,000 without O2, but after the flight you’ll be more tired and may even have a slight headache that you wouldn’t have if you had been on O2

12 hours ago, M20F said:

This is just a math problem.  The O2D2 takes a lot of O2 to pay its $1000 price tag.  I would figure out how often you need O2 and go from there.  The bottles are all the same. 

I have a turbo and a bottle will easily last me a year solo without my X3.  I bought it because it didn’t use batteries and I like to waste money on my airplane with toys.  There is no financial benefit to having it as it costs me @$50 to fill my bottle.  I do not intend to fly for 20 more years.   

I also smoke like a chimney and don’t use O2 unless above 12500.  Never had an issue, not saying it hurts to suck O2 but I have never really noticed any difference flying around usually 9-11000 smoking cigarettes for hours on end.  I will probably die of cancer but don’t think lack of O2 will contribute to that. 

With a small portable bottle, you may have to fill for a trip, even though it is not that far down.  And many FBOs seem to charge by the fill, not how much O2 the fill takes.

As for needing O2, that can change for a person.  I was the guy in the USAF UPT in the altitude chamber that they gave up on as I was doing reasonably well after several minutes at 25,000.  But a few years ago I developed asthma, possibly as a result of COVID.  Now, I have onset of my hypoxia symptoms over 9,000 feet.  So I set my O2D2 to start O2 at 5000.

Also, unless you have done a chamber ride, you may not be seeing your hypoxia symptoms.  They are difference for each person. 

2 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

WWII Bomber crews were kids and as such were much more physically fit than average Money driver, and I believe they went on O2 at 10,000.

Sure you can fly even above 12,000 without O2, but after the flight you’ll be more tired and may even have a slight headache that you wouldn’t have if you had been on O2

The oxygen regulators in military aircraft start supplying O2 at 10,000 feet cabin altitude.

Aerox was at the Mooney Summit this year as a sponsor.  The owner is also a new M20J owner.  He is a great guy, give him a call and see if he can sell you on one. 

The O2D2 is an amazing little box.  But you can add that later if you think you need it, it can work with any bottle.  I've really wanted one but I refill my bottles with my shop's o2 (I own a fab shop).  So my o2 is basically free and I really don't need one.

Cheers,

Dan

I purchased an MH O2D2 with a CFFC-048 tank for my wife and I. The O2D2 was a requirement for me since we are almost always flying together, and I would rather drop the money than worry about oxygen on the trip back every time. Works fantastic. It's also a bonus entertainment item for me, as I watch the altimeter creep to 10,000, and wait for the first puff of oxygen that makes her flinch, every time.

Something to note, we also purchased the E-Z Breathe-II cannulas and regret it. Not as easy to fit as the normal cannulas, and you are constantly worried that it'll slip away and you'll be losing some oxygen -- at least that's how both the wife and I felt. We just stuck to what came in the kit and are much happier.

The CFFC-048 tank is big enough to cover a back seat. I figured if a tank was going to take up that room, as long as it's not higher than the seat, it's fine. It does prevent the seat from rolling back all the way, which isn't an issue for us.

The seat mount for the tank is ok -- there's a Stefan Drury video where he jokes something along the lines of, "It took us five minutes to install it.. now.. it may take you 20 minutes, but I swear it only took us 5." It takes a lot longer than 5 minutes, the instructions are garbage. Once it's on, it's fine. 

I realize our needs are different and you don't need the same bottle and won't go to the same altitudes, but I figured I'd just give a general review.

Edited by natdm