Prop control stuck…and “fixed”?

Ragsf15e

So weird one today…. Departing for a vfr flight to Glacier National Park for a weekend of hiking and scenery.  Doing the runup, can’t cycle the prop. Control moved about an inch but felt weird and wouldn’t move past that point.  Taxied back to hangar thinking WTF?  Realized that the last thing I did was an oil change with my IA.  Filter is right above the prop governor.  Weird, but gotta be connected, right?  Take off all the cowlings at the hanger and look. Nothing seems amiss. Safety wire from the filter is maybe close to the cable but not touching. Then I think the solid sleeve around the end of the prop governor control cable is maybe very slightly bent? I pull up on it a little and move the control myself. And it moves smoothly. I have my wife try it from the cockpit and now it moves smoothly there as well.  Weird. I mean it went from jammed to totally smooth again.  It wasn’t creased or even obviously bent.  It was a super slight bow.

Airplane flew great after that.  Anyone ever see that?  Maybe my IA hit it with the torque wrench or safety wire tool?  If he did it was pretty minor because I was right there and didn’t notice.

• Like 1

Next time you have the cowl off check that it wiggles, i.e., the sphere isn't seized in the rod end.   It may have seized and caused the bow when you pulled it, which prevented it from moving, and it let go when you poked at it.   If it gives you any more odd feelings, maybe shoot some lube at it.    Just a speculative thought.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't have any input on what may have caused that but, I do have a question for you.  What airport did you fly into to go to Glacier?  I love it up there and my wife has never been.  It's one of the first places I'd like to take her when I get my private and instrument ratings.

2 hours ago, bcg said:

I don't have any input on what may have caused that but, I do have a question for you.  What airport did you fly into to go to Glacier?  I love it up there and my wife has never been.  It's one of the first places I'd like to take her when I get my private and instrument ratings.

I use KGPI.  It works really well from the west side.  The fbo is accommodating too.