Installing second Aspen display

BaldEagle

21 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

Evening all,

Anyone here done this?  I’m happy to keep my vacuum system so leaning towards the 500 MFD Max and trying to get an idea of install hours before reaching out to the local shops for quotes.

I had a two Aspen system in one airplane and a three Aspen system in another. If you're going to add a screen I would definitely do the 1000 instead of the 500 since that gives you the Reversionary mode - u basically get two primary Aspens. The new style backup battery is a big improvement also. All that the Aspen 500 would give you is an MFD, which you could easily get with an Aera 660.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I had a two Aspen system in one airplane and a three Aspen system in another. If you're going to add a screen I would definitely do the 1000 instead of the 500 since that gives you the Reversionary mode - u basically get two primary Aspens. The new style backup battery backup is a big improvement also. All that the Aspen 500 would give you is an MFD, which you could easily get with an Aera 660.

Agreed. Absolutely go for the 1000. The software is better and cleaner. It has more features. It's an all around better choice. 

• Like 1

From the shop standpoint they aren't much more. The 1000MAX requires certain wiring that will cost more like lightning protection overbraird, and a few extra wires. It will only take probably 4 extra hours in reality. 

You definitely need to upgrade to the MAX. The extra battery is nice and there is more future support I imagine. 

I say get a quote for each and see what the difference is. I'd be happy to give a second opinion if you want. I install these often. 

9 hours ago, Pinecone said:

I assume your 1000PRD is a Max?

If not, you need to upgrade it.

My plane came with a 1000PFD (non-Max).  By the time I upgraded the 1000PFD and added the Max 1000MFD, I was getting into G2X territory.

That’s my dilemma, I did the Max upgrade a couple of years ago, and if a second Aspen comes in at circa 10k I may as well pull my existing Aspen and go with a 10 inch G3X Touch or similar.  Which also gives me options when my legacy autopilot finally gives up.

The PFD Max upgrade from Aspen is $5000.  1000MFD Max is about $10,000. Not sure of install costs.

One factor is, the Aspen can drive legacy autopilots.  The G3X will not.   So if you go G3X, you also need to change to a GFC500.  The G500TXi will drive your older autopilot, but the hardware is about double the G3X, so final price is about the same.

I feel that the G3X/GFC500 setup, with a Garmin GTN gives more functionality and interoperation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 2:39 PM, Pinecone said:

The PFD Max upgrade from Aspen is $5000.  1000MFD Max is about $10,000. Not sure of install costs.

One factor is, the Aspen can drive legacy autopilots.  The G3X will not.   So if you go G3X, you also need to change to a GFC500.  The G500TXi will drive your older autopilot, but the hardware is about double the G3X, so final price is about the same.

I feel that the G3X/GFC500 setup, with a Garmin GTN gives more functionality and interoperation.

G3X is not the only choice, but I agree that the high cost of Aspen upgrades and add-ons puts you in the real 10" glass panel territory. Not only you get a nice looking, large and clear glass panel, but also more features out of the box. With the current Aspen pricing model, the real glass panel will end up cheaper in the long run, if not from the start.