List of front seat evolution through years/models?

SLOWR426

2 hours ago, SLOWR426 said:

Has anyone seen a list of how Mooney front seats differ between years/models?

Will all newer front seats fit in my 67 M20F?

I’m hoping I can just buy some J or Rocket/Ovation front seats.  The goal is more adjustments and a headrest.

I'm aware of some folks adding aluminum sheet to their seat backs to extend the height about 4 inches (with the necessary foam upgrades to go with it).  You can't even tell it's a modified seat.  Looks modern and provides additional support.  Don't know if it's "legal" (I'm not a mechanic) but it appears to be a possible alternative to newer seats.  

Yes, any of that newer Mooney seats will fit your F. The evolution included moving from the poor 3 position cam seat back adjuster to a crank setup for infinite angles, and then later added another crank to adjust the vertical height. Lumbar adjustment with a pump-up bulb like a blood pressure bulb was another option. A center arm rest on the pilot seat was another option. Unfortunately the bulk of Mooney production happened before the best seats were standard, so they're hard to find as salvage. Be patient and be prepared to pounce to get some, and then customize the foam and cover to suit your requirements.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately the bulk of Mooney production happened before the best seats were standard, so they're hard to find as salvage. Be patient and be prepared to pounce to get some, and then customize the foam and cover to suit your requirements.

I guess ordering nice new seats from the factory is out of the question?

I guess ordering nice new seats from the factory is out of the question?
I bet you could do that! Just be sitting down in another seat when you get the price! For a brief time the factory did full interior modernizations on vintage planes too. Maybe they still would.

Many years ago I read of a member here that had the factory build a new vertically adjusting seat bottom frame only...not a full seat, no foam or cover...just a half frame that he could swap to upgrade his copilot seat. I think it was 3 AMU.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, SLOWR426 said:

Has anyone seen a list of how Mooney front seats differ between years/models?

Will all newer front seats fit in my 67 M20F?

I’m hoping I can just buy some J or Rocket/Ovation front seats.  The goal is more adjustments and a headrest.

I have fully articulated seats in my 68 F model.  They fit just fine.  I would not have it any other way.  See my recent reply about headrests.

John Breda

• Like 2