JPI EDM700 downloading data

DonMuncy

I have a JPI EDM700, that has given me fits on downloading data from the start. First it required a "Keyspan" adaptor plug to connect to a laptop or it wouldn't work. Now it tells me it finds no available serial ports to download to. JPI has not been very helpful in solving my problems in this regard. How how others found to be the least probelmatic way of getting data from the unit into a computer?

Thanks Lance. Have you had it and used it enough to form an opinion that it will work for a long time without too many gliches.

Naturally, it is expensive. 

I assume it has a USB port or some such to be able to store data, put it on a screen to analyze, send it to Savvy, etc. 

Don, I also got the JPI download box and it worked flawlessly. My experience as a EE is that most things using RS-232 are a pain. It’s a really old interface originally designed to connect a dumb modem to a dumb terminal. 

I’ll sell you mine for $50 + $10 shipping  

Skip

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I fought with a JPI-700 for a long time until I got one of these. 

https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/jpi-usb-download-box/

This little device changed my life. No longer do I fight with the unit to download the data. Worth every penny because no longer do I have to take my laptop to the hangar.

On 9/29/2022 at 4:41 PM, DonMuncy said:

I have a JPI EDM700, that has given me fits on downloading data from the start. First it required a "Keyspan" adaptor plug to connect to a laptop or it wouldn't work. Now it tells me it finds no available serial ports to download to. JPI has not been very helpful in solving my problems in this regard. How how others found to be the least probelmatic way of getting data from the unit into a computer?

I've had issues too using Keyspan and my new laptop. Old laptop worked ok years ago. I think it's due to the higher speed laptop? I am going to go try it again next couple days, but last time it said it was sending data and there was none. I don't want to pay $200 for their little USB box...

31 minutes ago, joepilotmooney said:

I've had issues too using Keyspan and my new laptop. Old laptop worked ok years ago. I think it's due to the higher speed laptop? I am going to go try it again next couple days, but last time it said it was sending data and there was none. I don't want to pay $200 for their little USB box...

You may be right. I changed laptops between the time I could download stuff and when I couldn't.

My guess is that unless you want to use your old computer, you are not going to get downloaded JPI data. 

Thank goodness, PT20J took pity on me and sold me his old $200 box at a bargain price.