Really nice landing in 15 kt winds in my Mooney Ovation

Fly_M20R

44 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I'm surprised you have the ground speed displayed on the ADI's miscellaneous field instead of wind direction and speed.

My panel is decidedly low tech compared to many on this board. The ATIS/AWOS/ASOS/Windsock gives me an idea of which runway to use.  How is seeing a numerical display of real-time wind information helpful in a approach and landing? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

I'm surprised you have the ground speed displayed on the ADI's miscellaneous field instead of wind direction and speed.

I have gone back and forth between having GS on the ADI and Winds on the GTN750 left lower field and vice versa. During an approach I like to have GS in my best field of view in order to mentally cross check the VSI being flown by the autopilot and what I mentally calculate it should be according to the glidepath (or glideslope) angle. The GS display is a bit small in the ADI compared with it being in the GTN. Note that when I had the 530W it would display both GS and Winds in the left lower quadrant. It is unfortunate that the GTN has taken a step back in the number of user configurable fields it can display. I believe that I will finally settle on the GS being on the GTN and the winds in the ADI since I can still see the GS very well in my field of view on the GTN. I'll put the winds in the ADI. I have TAS in the backup ADI below. 

Garmin told me at Oshkosh that they would have GS in the HSI display in the next software upgrade. That will make things more harmonious since the HSI also displays distance as well as time to the next waypoint. 

Regards,

Chris

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

My panel is decidedly low tech compared to many on this board. The ATIS/AWOS/ASOS/Windsock gives me an idea of which runway to use.  How is seeing a numerical display of real-time wind information helpful in a approach and landing? 

Hi Shadrach,

I find having wind vector displayed useful in crosschecking what the AWOS said when I heard it (a few min ago) and what the windsock says if I can see it. Not always possible to see it well at night. With no wind info then need to use GS display and crab angle to maintain final approach course.... Wind display is useful in cruise as well to help in picking best altitude in a cross country flight. It is quite accurately calculated by the Garmin software. 

Regards,

Chris

Just now, Fly_M20R said:

Hi Shadrach,

I find having wind vector displayed useful in crosschecking what the AWOS said when I heard it (a few min ago) and what the windsock says if I can see it. Not always possible to see it well at night. With no wind info then need to use GS display and crab angle to maintain final approach course.... Wind display is useful in cruise as well to help in picking best altitude in a cross country flight. It is quite accurately calculated by the Garmin software. 

Regards,

Chris

Thanks, I don’t have an auto pilot so it never occurred to me that the information would be useful for cross checking the AP. 

• Like 1

Garmin told me at Oshkosh that they would have GS in the HSI display in the next software upgrade. That will make things more harmonious since the HSI also displays distance as well as time to the next waypoint. 

Chris, that is certainly good news to hear.  I have been going back and forth with user info displayed on the 375 and 275s. 

Years back I spent decades and thousands of hours with a DME that displayed distance and speed or distance and time.  I could consistently calculate the time from distance and speed within a few seconds.  Took a lot of practice.  But I used to be able to multiply 3 and 4 digit numbers in my head.  Dangers of have a job that used a lot of numbers.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 3:34 PM, David Lloyd said:

Chris, that is certainly good news to hear.  I have been going back and forth with user info displayed on the 375 and 275s. 

Years back I spent decades and thousands of hours with a DME that displayed distance and speed or distance and time.  I could consistently calculate the time from distance and speed within a few seconds.  Took a lot of practice.  But I used to be able to multiply 3 and 4 digit numbers in my head.  Dangers of have a job that used a lot of numbers.

Hi David,

I would not call using your brain for being able to do math on the fly a "danger"!! :D :lol: