No more ident?

RobertGary1

I’ve mostly noticed it when departing a towered field under a class C, but not the primary, when ifr.  The one I’m thinking of is Hillsboro, or.  The pattern is typically full of training AC and portland apch always wants an ident.  In fact now I just hit it as I’m making my initial call to them.  Maybe it helps them separate a target from the pattern mess?  I don’t know.

Traffic has gotten thick around here again, so if I'm reporting in from someplace with other traffic around I may get asked to ident.    It's maybe not as often as it used to be, since many of the controllers now have targets with tail numbers on their displays, but it does still happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I’ve mostly noticed it when departing a towered field under a class C, but not the primary, when ifr.  The one I’m thinking of is Hillsboro, or.  The pattern is typically full of training AC and portland apch always wants an ident.  In fact now I just hit it as I’m making my initial call to them.  Maybe it helps them separate a target from the pattern mess?  I don’t know.

WTH?  Are you texting while flying??? :D

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I wouldn't ident until asked. when you ident it makes your tag flash on the radar. The controllers are looking for the flashing tag after they ask for it not before.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2022 at 3:49 PM, Ragsf15e said:

I’ve mostly noticed it when departing a towered field under a class C

I got a request for an Ident this morning going into a Class B and then again tonight going into a Class C.  VFR on both flights and it was the typical spitting out the code and asking for an Ident as one instruction.

• Like 1

i'm wondering if its because the surveillance radar systems are now able to correlate ADS-B identifier with the squawk code. I know that on my traffic readout, I see the tail number or call sign of the aircraft. So I'm imagining that the data block now say

Reg N2154X
Ident 4215

or something like that, eliminating the need for ident in some TRACONs 

1 hour ago, rbp said:

i'm wondering if its because the surveillance radar systems are now able to correlate ADS-B identifier with the squawk code. I know that on my traffic readout, I see the tail number or call sign of the aircraft. So I'm imagining that the data block now say

Reg N2154X
Ident 4215

or something like that, eliminating the need for ident in some TRACONs 

That would be why I'm still ident-ing away. Not living near anywhere helps, too. Sometimes I have to get above 3000 msl and try several times to pick up Atlanta Departure, and if I'm not heading their way they pass me off to Montgomery Approach.

7 hours ago, rbp said:

i'm wondering if its because the surveillance radar systems are now able to correlate ADS-B identifier with the squawk code.

I've seen Controllers comment on how ADS-B is not readily available on all the systems, some you have to dig to see it.  But even so, I think the Ident is really more to just pick you out quickly in the masses.  Even if the screen is displaying your code, they still need to find it.  Or, another question for a Controller, there may be a delay in how quickly your Code shows up.  So if they assign a Code and ask you to Ident, they'll see your 1200 before it switches to the new Code.  Again, I'm assuming it just makes it easier to find you and see if they need to give any headings or alerts now that they're talking to you.

there's really no reason to guess. its in the doc i posted above

Section 3. Radar Identification
APPLICATION
Before you provide radar service, establish and maintain radar identification of the aircraft involved, 
5-3-3 BEACON/ADS-B IDENTIFICATION METHODS
When using only Mode 3/A radar beacon or ADS-B to identify a target, use one of the following methods:

Request the pilot to activate the “IDENT” feature of the transponder/ADS-B and then observe the identification display.
PHRASEOLOGY-

IDENT.
SQUAWK (code) AND IDENT.

Request the pilot to change to a specific discrete or nondiscrete code, as appropriate, and then observe the target or code display change. If a code change is required in accordance with Section 2, Beacon/ADS-B Systems, of this chapter, use the codes specified therein.
Request the pilot to change their transponder/ADS-B to “standby.” After you observe the target disappear for sufficient scans to assure that loss of target resulted from placing the transponder/ADS-B in “standby” position, request the pilot to return the transponder to normal operation and then observe the reappearance of the target.
PHRASEOLOGY-

SQUAWK STANDBY,
then
SQUAWK NORMAL.

EN ROUTE. An aircraft may be considered identified when the full data block is automatically associated with the target symbol of an aircraft that is squawking a discrete code assigned by the computer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1