Hurricane Driven Mooney Migration

Coach43

Every storm is different…

But coordination, and shared rides are popular…

Insurance often pays for a good part of the relo…

On the east coast… pick your favorite city to the west… and work from there, or go on holiday…

Chicago is pretty nice this time of year…!

Lots of activities, restaurants, museums, to take the kids…

:)

Use caution as the hurricane approaches… the IMC can get very heavy, and full of super heavy raindrops… and ATC gets challenged with the number of flights entering the system… they may even head you towards the storm…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

On 9/29/2022 at 7:34 PM, flyboy0681 said:

Footage of some airports in the hurricane zone show a lot of aircraft carcasses. Brace yourself for next years insurance renewal.

You know my house insurence has a rather large named storm deductible, same thing on our boat when we lived aboard.

Why isn’t there a rather large deductible for aircraft? Every time we have a bad storm I feel sure some are hoping this is the day the insurence company pays out, because their ramp tramp isn’t worth it’s insured amount anymore.

It annoys me no end that aircraft get left out tied down knowing a Hurricane is coming, I mean nothing can get out of the way of a hurricane better than an airplane, it almost never gets IFR until about 24 hours before the storm hits.

I admit I left mine in my hangar, and Ian was supposed to march right over us, but by the time it gets to central Fl it’s not the storm that made landfall, and my hangar is a concrete block building. We had no plans to evacuate.

Ian’s track was well South of where it was supposed to be, it never made the North hook it was supposed to, so we got not much Wx, only lost power for a day.

If we ever are supposed to be hit by Armageddon, you can be sure we are taking the airplane before we try the highway, I’ve seen that mess more than once, no thank you.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 10:01 PM, EricJ said:

One of the crew (I think the PI) was on the news talking about it and they played a short clip from the vid below.   He said they were in one that was comparable in 2019 but this may have been worse.

Call me crazy but I would love to go for a ride on one of those flights just once in my life. My coworkers think I’m crazy because I actually like turbulence and wind. I think the highest I saw the wind get coming off a mountain on the Ol’ G500 was 58 knots. I’ll admit though, I flew away from that area as quickly (not fastest) as possible. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Call me crazy but I would love to go for a ride on one of those flights just once in my life. My coworkers think I’m crazy because I actually like turbulence and wind. I think the highest I saw the wind get coming off a mountain on the Ol’ G500 was 58 knots. I’ll admit though, I flew away from that area as quickly (not fastest) as possible. 

Me, too.   Flying on those missions is a job I think I'd like, probably more doing the science or data collection in the back than on the flight deck, but either way.  ;) 

• Like 1