Foreflight "Official Logbook" ???

WAFI

Can the Foreflight logbook act as a replacement to the standard paper pilot logbook?

Just checking to see if anyone has completely done away with there old paper logbook and gone fully digital?

I started using the Foreflight logbook a third into my PPL and it became one of my favorite tools. The way it keeps track of your currency and shows where you stand regarding upgrading your license, is awesome. Along with the ability for a CFI to sign off digital is pretty cool as well.

As of right now I have been using Foreflight LB recording all my flights, then back logging my paper logbook to match. I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time and energy with this paper LB?

Thoughts???

9 minutes ago, McMooney said:

yes, it can. 

that being said, i mainly log using garmin pilot but I also still transcribe everything to my paper logbook out of habit.

the rules don't specify a type of logbook, only what the entries contain; you could log on a paperbag if you wanted.

Nice... So, I'll just write my flights on my fuselage with a sharpy until I get my plane painted or just posted them on MS so everyone can be a witness. LOL!!! Just joking... 

15 minutes ago, WAFI said:

Nice... So, I'll just write my flights on my fuselage with a sharpy until I get my plane painted or just posted them on MS so everyone can be a witness. LOL!!! Just joking... 

if i had nice handwriting that might not be a bad idea.  apply a clearcoat every so often, might look pretty good

• Like 1

Also be sure to BACK UP your FF or Pilot Logbook every so often.

With FF you log into the Website and go to the Logbook tab.  Then across the top choose Export.  This will export a .CSV file which you DO NOT want to modify or change in any way in case you need to use it to recover your online Logbook.  If you want to play with the numbers and columns, make a copy of this file to make any changes.

I'm assuming G Pilot has a similar process, but not sure what that is.

And I also keep a paper Logbook for all signatures.  I usually do a one line entry for the day for any flights I've made to keep it up to date vs. the per leg way FF enters the info.  Out of habit I also scan to PDF as I complete a page.  

Edited by PeteMc

I use SafeLog Pro, but also keep a paper log book.

I leave my paper log book at home.  Log flights electronically, and then add them to the paper book later.  Sort of the same idea as leave the aircraft logs at home.

I used to use AeroLog Pro and had a LOT of flights logged in it.  Since it is not well supported now, I switched.  Safe Log was able to take my Aero Log datafile and convert it to import into Safe Log.

I used to mainly keep flights in paper book, and later put then in the electronic one.  I lost my last paper one in a crash.  And when I imported my electronic log info, I found I was missing about 2 years of flying.  That is why I swapped and log electronically primarily.

Safe Log Pro syncs the data with a cloud file, plue it updates the data on each device.  So I have my data on two desktops, two tablets, my phone, and the cloud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schllc said:

FF log is backed up on their cloud

Yes, absolutely true.  But I can't tell you how many clients have had issues with Cloud storage and recovery.  Often the issue doesn't show up until they go back and look at historical data.  By then, it's very difficult to find when the corruption happened and what's going to be involved in recovering all of the data with the various changes that have occurred. 

It takes very little drive space to occasionally download your own copy.   (Keep a few throughout the year and then an annual copy tucked away in some Aviation folder.)

20 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

Yes, absolutely true.  But I can't tell you how many clients have had issues with Cloud storage and recovery.  Often the issue doesn't show up until they go back and look at historical data.  By then, it's very difficult to find when the corruption happened and what's going to be involved in recovering all of the data with the various changes that have occurred. 

It takes very little drive space to occasionally download your own copy.   (Keep a few throughout the year and then an annual copy tucked away in some Aviation folder.)

I've been using https://myflightbook.com/ since my PPL. In addition to all the regular stuff you can add pictures for each flight, route of flight, notes, etc... CFI/CFII's can digitally sign it. When I went for my IFR checkride I just printed it out, no issues at all. I regularly will download a PDF copy of it "just in case."

Oh, and it's free.

42 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

Oh, I agree, I print and make a pdf copy about 6 times a year, but eight years now and there has never been a glitch…

4 hours ago, PeteMc said:

Also be sure to BACK UP your FF or Pilot Logbook every so often.

With FF you log into the Website and go to the Logbook tab.  Then across the top choose Export.  This will export a .CSV file which you DO NOT want to modify or change in any way in case you need to use it to recover your online Logbook.  If you want to play with the numbers and columns, make a copy of this file to make any changes.

I'm assuming G Pilot has a similar process, but not sure what that is.

And I also keep a paper Logbook for all signatures.  I usually do a one line entry for the day for any flights I've made to keep it up to date vs. the per leg way FF enters the info.  Out of habit I also scan to PDF as I complete a page.  

GP is about the same. 

export a copy to my personal cloud storage once or twice a year.

feels safer than paper.  I misplaced my original log book shortly after receiving the ppl, lost about 100hrs.

It can. 

i don't use the Foreflight logbook but my digital logbook has been my official logbook for about a half dozen years or so. My paper logbook's only purposes are (1) official for older flights that were endorsed by an instructor and (2) new flights with an instructor who prefers signing paper. The last entry for #2 was about 3 years ago.

19 hours ago, Pinecone said:

I use SafeLog Pro, but also keep a paper log book.

I leave my paper log book at home.  Log flights electronically, and then add them to the paper book later.  Sort of the same idea as leave the aircraft logs at home.

I used to use AeroLog Pro and had a LOT of flights logged in it.  Since it is not well supported now, I switched.  Safe Log was able to take my Aero Log datafile and convert it to import into Safe Log.

I used to mainly keep flights in paper book, and later put then in the electronic one.  I lost my last paper one in a crash.  And when I imported my electronic log info, I found I was missing about 2 years of flying.  That is why I swapped and log electronically primarily.

Safe Log Pro syncs the data with a cloud file, plue it updates the data on each device.  So I have my data on two desktops, two tablets, my phone, and the cloud.

I have SafeLog as well. Multiple devices and backed up in the cloud. Really great program. I have not logged anything on paper in 20 years.

17 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I've been using https://myflightbook.com/ since my PPL. In addition to all the regular stuff you can add pictures for each flight, route of flight, notes, etc... CFI/CFII's can digitally sign it. When I went for my IFR checkride I just printed it out, no issues at all. I regularly will download a PDF copy of it "just in case."

Oh, and it's free.

This one looks interesting.  Even though I have Garmin Pilot, I may give this one a look.  Thanks for posting it.