Eagle to Screaming Eagle STC - Increased fuel capacity ?

N177MC

I have a client with an Eagle that has the Screaming Eagle STC conversion.   

The Eagle left the factory with "collars" in the fuel cap covers to limit fueling to 75 gallons.

He believes that normally the STC allows the removal of the collars thus enabling fueling to 89 gal , useable.

I can't find the full STC installation document and the AML says nothing about fuel.

What gives ?

Thanks !

On 9/25/2022 at 3:15 AM, N177MC said:

I have a client with an Eagle that has the Screaming Eagle STC conversion.   

The Eagle left the factory with "collars" in the fuel cap covers to limit fueling to 75 gallons.

He believes that normally the STC allows the removal of the collars thus enabling fueling to 89 gal , useable.

I can't find the full STC installation document and the AML says nothing about fuel.

What gives ?

Thanks !

I just went over the entire installation manual for the given STC. It goes over everything power plant but doesn't state anything about removing the fuel tabs. although there is no mention of the fuel tabs, the max legal fuel is increased from 75 gallons to 89 gallons under the limitations, however if you continue to fill until the tank is full, you should have about 98 to 104 gallons usable in the aircraft.

as far as the tabs go, you might be able to switch them out for the 89 gallon or 98 gallon tabs under minor air frame mod since they aren't structural to the air frame in any way and don't apply to the limitations of the screaming eagle, but I don't know how the regulations work in Europe. I'd say this falls under a grey line, especially since the M20R and M20S share a parts catalog, so I couldn't think of anything stopping you from just changing them out to the 98 gallon tabs since the parts catalog would list it as an option.

I do have the installation manual for the STC right in front of me, so If you do want pictures shoot me a message on Whatsapp at 9492678813 and I'll send over some screenshots.

@StevenL757 and @LANCECASPER might have some insight as well, since they've both been around quite a while

31 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

@StevenL757 and @LANCECASPER might have some insight as well, since they've both been around quite a while

Wow Steven and I are the Mooneyspace fossils . .  nice!

I am not a capacity-limiting "tab" expert. All three Bravos I owned and the Acclaim I have now have Monroy Long Range Tanks. The Ovation I owed had 89 gallon capacity but if you were patient you could get a lot more in.

The first conversation I had with @Cris was discussing the capacity limitations the original Eagle was born with…

the tanks are capable of holding 100+ gal.

a well placed vent hole will get you there…

Cris had his Eagle converted to Screamin’…

He in turn, helped me go standing O…

:)

Use caution when drilling the hole… there is gasoline below, and you don’t want chips falling in…

On level ground, the placement of the fuel cap keeps the fuel from going much over 100g….

On slanted ground… the vent hole may be the limiting factor…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, N177MC said:

Thanks guys !   

ps: This Eagle is FAA registered and I'm an FAA cert'd A&P/IA, so no EASA regs to get in the way.

Would modifying a fuel neck with a 25mm hole for better venting need any more paperwork, or could an A&P/IA make that call himself?

There are many fuel neck designs in various Mooneys in the event a mechanic needed to copy a similar installation…. An Ovation probably would make a great example…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-