Torque wrench length for gear overcenter check

bmcconnaha

In the MM it calls for a ten inch torque wrench.  I had a hard time finding a ten inch wrench that would do the required inch lbs.  I found a Quinn electronic torque wrench with a peak hold feature that I like.  I've checked my gear tentions per the manual, and got 235 inch lbs on the right gear, and 265 on the left.  Also my right spring on the nose is a little long, so I have some adjustments to make, but wanted to get some opinions on the torque wrench length before I do anything. I know most torque wrenches are lenth dependandant, and the one I bought is.  It has a mark on the handle where you are supposed to grip it at.  So, will a longer wrench affect the reading? What order would you adjust the gear in? Nose first and then mains, or get the mains first and then the nose? I can't find that in the manual, it has you check the nose first and then the mains, but has you recheck the nose gear after adjustment to the mains.

Thank you! 

It doesn’t matter what torque wrench you use so long as you can physically manipulate it correctly in the wheel well to get an accurate reading. According to Service Manual 32-30-01, you should adjust the nose gear preload first and recheck it if you subsequently adjust the main gear preload.

Skip

• Like 2

Any time you "adjust" the tension on any gear leg (not check but adjust the rods) you have to check all the others

Move one and they are all affected by the design of the system.

The hardest is to get even tension on both of the rods for the nose gear on manual gear Mooneys.

• Like 3

I bought two dial-type torque wrenches.  See Snap-On TE12FUA and TE25FUA.  They have 3/8" drive but you can but a compact 3/8"-1/2" adapter from Amazon that works well.  I bought the 2 wrenches with different scales so as the gradations are further apart.  Excellent, like new, wrenches can be purchased on E-bay. just be sure to but the returnable ones so you can verify calibration before using them.  Precision Instruments of Chicago makes these for Snap-On and are every bit as good as those with the Snap-On name.  They can also be purchased new on Amazon for less that from Precision Instruments directly or from Snap-On.

There is no 1/2" drive option in these two scale ranges.  It is longer, but the scale as I remember is 0-600.  I have a Snap-On 1/2" drive which I have never used as the scale range is too big.

John Breda

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 9:00 AM, bmcconnaha said:

In the MM it calls for a ten inch torque wrench.  I had a hard time finding a ten inch wrench that would do the required inch lbs.  I found a Quinn electronic torque wrench with a peak hold feature that I like.  I've checked my gear tentions per the manual, and got 235 inch lbs on the right gear, and 265 on the left.  Also my right spring on the nose is a little long, so I have some adjustments to make, but wanted to get some opinions on the torque wrench length before I do anything. I know most torque wrenches are lenth dependandant, and the one I bought is.  It has a mark on the handle where you are supposed to grip it at.  So, will a longer wrench affect the reading? What order would you adjust the gear in? Nose first and then mains, or get the mains first and then the nose? I can't find that in the manual, it has you check the nose first and then the mains, but has you recheck the nose gear after adjustment to the mains.

Thank you! 

It should not matter for torque measurement where you grip the wrench or how long it is, the torque measurement at the bolt is the same.  It might matter for safety or ergonomics, but not the torque spec.

If the MM calls for a short torque wrench, I suspect it's to decrease the chances you overtorque it if you are a steroid-laden gorilla with an epileptic seizure, but that's just a guess :)  To put it in perspective, the torque wrenches with the 1/2" drive you use on wheel lugnuts are usually 18" or more, and their minimum torque measurement is 10 ft-lbs or 240 in-lbs

Edited by jaylw314

4 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

It should not matter for torque measurement where you grip the wrench or how long it is, the torque measurement at the bolt is the same.  It might matter for safety or ergonomics, but not the torque spec.

If the MM calls for a short torque wrench, I suspect it's to decrease the chances you overtorque it if you are a steroid-laden gorilla with an epileptic seizure, but that's just a guess :)  To put it in perspective, the torque wrenches with the 1/2" drive you use on wheel lugnuts are usually 18" or more, and their minimum torque measurement is 10 ft-lbs or 240 in-lbs

Manual on my wrench says to get the accurate torque, it has be gripped in the center of the grip.  In fact, it even has a line where to grip it. Either way, the electronic wrench with a peak hold works flawless for checking the gear over center.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

I bought two dial-type torque wrenches.  See Snap-On TE12FUA and TE25FUA.  They have 3/8" drive but you can but a compact 3/8"-1/2" adapter from Amazon that works well.  I bought the 2 wrenches with different scales so as the gradations are further apart.  Excellent, like new, wrenches can be purchased on E-bay. just be sure to but the returnable ones so you can verify calibration before using them.  Precision Instruments of Chicago makes these for Snap-On and are every bit as good as those with the Snap-On name.  They can also be purchased new on Amazon for less that from Precision Instruments directly or from Snap-On.

There is no 1/2" drive option in these two scale ranges.  It is longer, but the scale as I remember is 0-600.  I have a Snap-On 1/2" drive which I have never used as the scale range is too big.

John Breda

Thanks John, I ended up with a Quinn electronic torque wrench.  It has a peak hold, and as I get into the 200 inch lbs range I just slowly let the torque creep up.  Usually can get three measurements very close to each other.  Interesting about snap on.  I buy the ratchet screwdriver snap on sells from the maker of them, Williams.  

FWIW, it is easy to use a click-type torque wrench for checking rigging.   Set the wrench at the minimum torque and check the rigging, i.e., the wrench should click without the shim coming out.   Then set the wrench for the maximum allowed torque and check again, and the shim should come out before the wrench clicks.   If both those things happen, then the rigging is within spec.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EricJ said:

FWIW, it is easy to use a click-type torque wrench for checking rigging.   Set the wrench at the minimum torque and check the rigging, i.e., the wrench should click without the shim coming out.   Then set the wrench for the maximum allowed torque and check again, and the shim should come out before the wrench clicks.   If both those things happen, then the rigging is within spec.

Clever!

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

If I couldn't find an eletronic wrench, I was going to do it that way.  

• Like 1

Floppy handles on old mechanical pointer type torque wrenches…

Probably keep you from doing something that moves the needle without adding additional torque…

This would cause a reading error…

Staying to the center of the handle may prevent the reading error…

PP guessing about tools only…

Best regards,

-a-

13 hours ago, bmcconnaha said:

Thanks John, I ended up with a Quinn electronic torque wrench.  It has a peak hold, and as I get into the 200 inch lbs range I just slowly let the torque creep up.  Usually can get three measurements very close to each other.  Interesting about snap on.  I buy the ratchet screwdriver snap on sells from the maker of them, Williams.  

How do I contact Williams?  I have the Snap-On versions but they are way too overpriced.  The tips work well though and perhaps I can get replacements from Williams at a reasonable cost.