Nose gear parts

skyfarer

Anybody have a good source for nose gear bushings and tie rod ends? My Bravo is in annual and this is the last thing I’m waiting for. The shop contacted Lasar, they have none in stock right now. Hoping to not have to wait. (I know, something something supply chain) :lol:

Hmmmmm….

When Lasar is out of parts….

Dialing down the list of MSCs is probably next…

Or go factory direct… call the Mooney factory to see their thoughts…

Somebody has the wear parts on the shelf somewhere…

And, some of us remember the guy at the factory’s name to call… :)

Good luck with the next steps!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skyfarer said:

I'm a new Mooney owner, is there a list of MSC's somewhere?  I'd guess that Don Maxwell in TX is an MSC?

Thanks!

DMax is probably the best one in the US…. One of a handful at his level… (there are some really good shops in different parts of the US)

This site list all of the MSCs… select your favorite country, scroll down the list…

https://www.mooney.com/contact-2/

My favorite MSC…. Is in Eastern Canada… :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skyfarer said:

I'm a new Mooney owner, is there a list of MSC's somewhere?  I'd guess that Don Maxwell in TX is an MSC?

Thanks!

Mooney only sells parts through MSCs. 

LASAR is a MSC. LASAR used to maintain a large parts inventory, but not so much anymore. If you have the part number you need, you can call all the MSCs to see if any have it. If not, any one of them can order it from the factory. Lead times can be long if the factory has to get a part made at an outside vendor.

A lot of parts such as rod ends may be standard parts and can be ordered from suppliers such as Aircraft Spruce.

You should get a Service and Maintenance Manual and an Illustrated Parts Catalog. 

There is a list of MSCs here
https://www.mooney.com/contact-2/

Good luck,

Skip

• Like 1

Rod ends on NLG are typically standard parts or Heim Bearings (now RBC Bearings) part numbers.

Years ago my IA and replaced a lot of parts and associated hardware and I just googled P/Ns searched for parts unavailable at LASAR and better price. Most parts came form MSC but even some Mooney specific P/N were procured form other sources that have them in stock for years.

• Like 2

I exchanged emails with Mooney, Aurora Bearing, some of Aurora Bearing's distributors.  Aurora had 7 of the rod ends in stock, but they only sell through distributors. Mooney said it'll take 20 weeks to get one, something about PO's having to go through higher ups and taking a long time. Finally, I started calling every MSC on the list, and I found one with a rod end! They are shipping it to me today.  The shop's parts guy was able to source all the bushings we needed.  So looks like they have all the parts to get the annual completed and the bird in the air.

Interesting find, the Mooney part is REM3-4-2, the Aurora Bearing part number is MM-3M-21. But this thread caught my attention:

Could this be the same part on the M20M? If so, Aircraft Spruce has several of the M34-14M in stock. I was going to have my shop verify the measurements but once I found the part I had them hold off.

Not really definitive but when I Google Aircraft Spruce M34-14M, I see the following two reviews (same guy) mentioning an aileron rod:

Perfect, high quality! Solved the excessive play in the pushrod for my aileron on my Mooney

Sherman C
December 15, 2018

Works great seems to be high quality, have not had much time on the rod end yet to see how long it will last, but definitely way better than what came off my 50 yr old Mooney

37 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Not really definitive but when I Google Aircraft Spruce M34-14M, I see the following two reviews (same guy) mentioning an aileron rod:

Yes, appears to be used in Van's RV's as an aileron rod end. I know several who are building RV's here, maybe one of them has one not yet installed where I can compare the two.

Once you figure out the aurora part numbers (which sometimes you can get from photos or the old part), you can get them from AS or a number of other places.   It is unfortunate that the current system makes it much harder (and usually way more expensive) than it needs to be.