What to remote - Comm panel or Xpnr

Tim-37419

Hi all - 

I'm working on a 530w to 750Xi upgrade and either the comm panel or xpdnr needs to move. My options are:

Move one of the two out of the center stack to the co-pilot
Remote one of the two

If I have to remote something, I would remote the comm panel over the xpdnr. When in turbulent air, physical buttons on a transponder would be preferable but now that I'm typing that out, I touch the comms panel  more than the xpdnr.

Has anyone been faced with this? What did you choose and are you happy with the result.

I did search for previous threads, my keywords failed me....

PS: While I have a RV in my profile, the question if for a Mooney 231.

Edited by Tim-37419
added PS

2 hours ago, Tim-37419 said:

Hi all - 

I'm working on a 530w to 750Xi upgrade and either the comm panel or xpdnr needs to move. My options are:

Move one of the two out of the center stack to the co-pilot
Remote one of the two

If I have to remote something, I would remote the comm panel over the xpdnr. When in turbulent air, physical buttons on a transponder would be preferable but now that I'm typing that out, I touch the comms panel  more than the xpdnr.

Has anyone been faced with this? What did you choose and are you happy with the result.

I did search for previous threads, my keywords failed me....

PS: While I have a RV in my profile, the question if for a Mooney 231.

I'd do the transponder because PS Engineering doesn't make a remote Audio Panel :D.     Seriously . . .  do the PS Engineering 450C Audio Panel. When you buy from that company you not only get a great audio panel, but you get Mark @Mscheuer with it and his great support.

I wish PS Engineering made a plug and play audio panel for G1000 airplanes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When going all Big G…

Remote everything possible…

Just for WnB reasons… :)

There hasn’t been a wide spread amount of failures due to remote mounting…

Transponder… hardly gets touched… enter a number once per flight… hit ident every now and then… ?

Audio panel… barely sees any changes… turning up the volume to ID a station, VORs, and ILS…. Picking up the ATIS is probably the biggest use…?

Going with the GTN… get used to the new 2U menu lay-out may take a few seconds…

PP thoughts only, no Big G experience implied…

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Audio panel… barely sees any changes… turning up the volume to ID a station, VORs, and ILS…. Picking up the ATIS is probably the biggest use…?

GTN 750/650 both auto-identify the morse code for VOR/LOC and reverse looked up station associated with audio frequencies

• Thanks 1

The only thing i do on the (remote) TXP is set the T in CRAFT and press the VFR button. yoke has an IDENT button and the squawk shows up on the 750

The only thing I do on the audio panel is press the MON button to monitor 2 if i'm talking on 1, and vice versa. the MIC and MON areas of the 750 show what you're talking on and what you're listening to

I interact less then 5 times per flight with these two devices. 

Going with GTN750 one very good option is to install GMA35 remote panel control and use the touch screen of the GTN750 for audio control. Have installed it in my 1st upgrade and love it. Then i kept it going full digital in my secon upgrade. G3X, GTN750, GTN650, GFC500, GTX345…

you will not regret

Philip

24001C34-445C-4492-86B5-4B58077C110B.jpeg

5A3D306A-1246-4389-AD7D-65AD1D3D211D.jpeg

• Like 2