My first real trip.

bcg

My CFI, his GF and I took the 63 C from KERV to 3J7, with a stop at KAEX for fuel and a bathroom break. Headwinds we're absolute murder, they dropped cruise from 160-165MPH down to 110-120MPH but, it still beat a Cessna...lol

Just a few pics from the trip, sunrise (we left at 5AM), a couple in La and a neat 2400' grass strip on an island in a river somewhere in Al (I think). I really wanted to land on that island but, with 3 people, luggage and 200# of fuel still on board, I wasn't sure we could get back off of it. We originally planned to land around 1:30 but didn't make it until 3:00, the wind forecast really deteriorated for us overnight.

Heading back on Friday, wind forecast looks a lot more favorable, I hope it holds.

It was really nice being able to fly to an airport 15 miles from my destination instead of going into ATL and making a 1.5 hour drive, after dealing with TSA and all the other fun stuff involved in commercial air travel. I don't think I'm ever going to go commercial again, at least not if I can avoid it.PXL_20220921_120341188.jpgPXL_20220921_132334210.jpgPXL_20220921_143822637.jpgPXL_20220921_170752211.jpgPXL_20220921_143831433.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

• Like 11

2 hours ago, bcg said:

It was really nice being able to fly to an airport 15 miles from my destination instead of going into ATL and making a 1.5 hour drive, after dealing with TSA and all the other fun stuff involved in commercial air travel. I don't think I'm ever going to go commercial again, at least not if I can avoid it.

With three on board, economical, too.  Awesome adventure.  I know what you mean… a few times a year I used to catch the o-dark-30 from SMF to ATL, and then the 1.5 hr drive after that.  Being on the west coast though, the Mooney wasn’t an option.

But, something about your last pic wasn’t quite right… fly safe!

image.jpeg.749e31eec2c99f18805feb3b126d8e5b.jpeg

• Haha 1

I did a trip last summer from Utah to Washington State, going up I averaged 175 knots ground speed and topped out at 185 knots.  Coming back a couple days later the winds were still coming from the south and I was doing 115 to 120 knots most of the way back.   The winds giveth and the winds taketh away... fortunately when I crossed the Utah border the winds changed and I jumped up to 150 knots for the last leg.   I couldn't imagine trying to do that in a Cessna 150.   You'd be jealously watching the highway traffic pass you.  

• Like 2

With three on board, economical, too.  Awesome adventure.  I know what you mean… a few times a year I used to catch the o-dark-30 from SMF to ATL, and then the 1.5 hr drive after that.  Being on the west coast though, the Mooney wasn’t an option.

Not right how?

11 hours ago, 47U said:

He'll figure it out.......

• Like 1

He was hoping you guys wouldn’t be able to read the Cirrus hat… :)

The mirror image hid it for a bit…

Great pics!

Finding the grass field without a GPS would be a real challenge…

Landing on such a short field with trees at both ends… is something that takes practice… and that starts at low weights first…   

PP thoughts only, not a CFI…

Best regards,

-a-

Very happy you enjoyed your Mooney, no matter which model it’s a fine cross country machine. 
 Not To to be that guy, but looking at the pictures please add shoulder harnesses if you do not have them. You never know…

They’re in there, they just make it really difficult to reach across the cockpit to get to the AP or shade the fuel flow meter so I can read it in the sun so, they tend to get removed in cruise. The lap belt stays on, shoulder belt hooks to it independently and is used in taxi, takeoff, landing or turbulence.
  • Like 1

He was hoping you guys wouldn’t be able to read the Cirrus hat… 
The mirror image hid it for a bit…
Great pics!
Finding the grass field without a GPS would be a real challenge…
Landing on such a short field with trees at both ends… is something that takes practice… and that starts at low weights first…   

PP thoughts only, not a CFI…
Best regards,
-a-

That’s my CFI/ CFII. I rag on him about it all the time…lol
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bcg said:

They’re in there, they just make it really difficult to reach across the cockpit to get to the AP or shade the fuel flow meter so I can read it in the sun so, they tend to get removed in cruise. The lap belt stays on, shoulder belt hooks to it independently and is used in taxi, takeoff, landing or turbulence.

My problem on my 1979 231 is that the shoulder harness keeps accidentally unhooking from the lap belt. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the shoulder harness connected?

My problem on my 1979 231 is that the shoulder harness keeps accidentally unhooking from the lap belt. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the shoulder harness connected?
Mine has a habit of doing that also. Hopefully we'll get some ideas to fix it.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, WilliamR said:

Do you have the nylon bushing on the lap belt post? I had that go missing one day and the shoulder belt would easily come off. Replaced and again no longer a problem.

In a pinch you can use a zip tie in lieu of the nylon bushing. It just looks crappy.

William

I have seen shoulder harnesses with a rubber bushing. Do you know where to get the bushings?

2 hours ago, WilliamR said:

Do you have the nylon bushing on the lap belt post? I had that go missing one day and the shoulder belt would easily come off. Replaced and again no longer a problem.

In a pinch you can use a zip tie in lieu of the nylon bushing. It just looks crappy.

William

In a past Cherokee, I only knew the zip ties, the bushings long gone, and the fix worked too well.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:04 PM, Tom 4536 said:

I have seen shoulder harnesses with a rubber bushing. Do you know where to get the bushings?

Google: Cessna Seat Belt Bushing (it's a universal part for all the seat belts with the post). Soaking in hot water for a bit helps with stretching the bushing over the top flange of the post.

https://www.wagaero.com/seat-belts/seat-belt-harness-kits/cessna-seat-belts-and-shoulder-harness-kits/cessna-seat-belt-bushing.html