Where To Tie Down In Greater SEA Area (October)

PeteMc

We may be doing a X-US flight in Oct. Any suggestions on where to tie down or hangar for a week or two in the greater SEA area? 

We have use of a car there and if it makes a difference, our ride will be coming out of either the Queen Anne or Magnolia area.  (Though I'm sure it really won't matter.)

Thx

42 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Post your expected route…

Route is up in the air, but not really an deciding factor.  Planning to visit family in Seattle for a few days and pick up a car to head over to ID.  So it's more about the options on leaving the plane for a while.  A lot will depend upon Wx and what stops we make along the way.  May be arriving from JAC or that may be where we go when we start our trip back to the NYC area.

Currently thinking is to go into BFI to make it easy for a pickup.  Then once we have a car relocating the plane to PAE or AWO since there's no reason for the plane to sit at BFI - though I do plan to call about the Tie Down space to see if it's an option.

• Like 1

Pete,

KBFI is very convenient but might be expensive (it was double the price then other airports 17 years ago) so I would suggest KPAE. It's a 35' drive to Queen Anne so not too bad. Renton might be an option but Auburn is in my opinion too far from QA.

Arlington should have plenty of tiedowns as well but it's quite a distance north. 

8 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

KBFI is very convenient but might be expensive

Not the worst I've ever had (JFK), but not the cheapest either.  Complex pricing too, I almost had to take my shoes off!  :lol:   FBOs will wave the handling fees if you buy fuel (10gal), but not the other fees.  Prices I got per night are: Modern is $40/, Leading is $15 and Signature $25.  Airport Ops is also $10/day ($5 x 12 hours) and they only have 4 spots.

KAWO is by far the best as far as pricing goes.  Arlington Flight Cntr will let you park free if they have the space (I'd obviously get more than 10 gal if I end up there).  If they don't have space, Ops is $3/night and they seem very happy to work with you if for some reason the regular spots are all occupied (though that's unlikely).

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 11:41 AM, PeteMc said:

Not the worst I've ever had (JFK), but not the cheapest either.  Complex pricing too, I almost had to take my shoes off!  :lol:  

Pete, how long are you staying?

Back in a day (when I bought 14M) I got month to month tiedown by Museum of Flight directly from King County. It was considered temporary and no strings attached. Aslo, half the price of the FBO or Wings aloft flying club... After 6 month I moved to KPAE where my work was/is...

I would also try Regal Air at KPAE.  A bit north but not bad.  I am sitting at BFI right now, and I use it occasionally in my Mooney, but I don’t like it. The ramp is very busy and congested and a lot of the concrete is falling apart and there are little rocks everywhere. Also there are lots and lots of large jets taxiing right next to you.

@Igor_U @Ragsf15e   Currently looking at PAE or AWO.  People picking us up when we go commercial are use to the drive to SEA and then waiting in traffic once you get to the airport.  So actually, any of the other places I'd fly into might be a few more miles, but really not any more time.

AWO has a strong option of no fees if space available.  If not, then it's only $3/night through the airport.  Can't beat those rates.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...