Rear seat back height

graham28105

The first-gen of split/removable rear bucket seats had very high seat backs or an integrated head rest.  The seat back and butt cushions are removable, and the remaining seat back frame folds forward and makes a flush cargo floor when the cushion & back are removed.  I don't know when Mooney switched to a lower seat back + head rest version, but I think it was fairly soon.  Perhaps 1983 or 1984.  My salvage plane was S/N 24-1221, listed as a 1981, but it was very late in the run and as far as I can tell, one of the first few with the removable rear seats.  I think they officially were declared a feature for 1982.  

I prefer the lower seat back as that offers some access to the baggage area from the seats.  These first-gen tall seat backs can be modified as they have a fiberglass or plastic shell inside the foam and cover.  This shell can be cut and spliced back together to remove some height if desired, in conjunction with new upholstery.  The frame/reclining/folding mechanism is the same as the newer models too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

The first-gen of split/removable rear bucket seats had very high seat backs or an integrated head rest.  The seat back and butt cushions are removable, and the remaining seat back frame folds forward and makes a flush cargo floor when the cushion & back are removed.  I don't know when Mooney switched to a lower seat back + head rest version, but I think it was fairly soon.  Perhaps 1983 or 1984.  My salvage plane was S/N 24-1221, listed as a 1981, but it was very late in the run and as far as I can tell, one of the first few with the removable rear seats.  I think they officially were declared a feature for 1982.  

I prefer the lower seat back as that offers some access to the baggage area from the seats.  These first-gen tall seat backs can be modified as they have a fiberglass or plastic shell inside the foam and cover.  This shell can be cut and spliced back together to remove some height if desired, in conjunction with new upholstery.  The frame/reclining/folding mechanism is the same as the newer models too.

My 1983 J had the highback rear seats.  I actually liked them because it helped keep things in the baggage area.  Opposite of your preference for access.  At least we both liked what we had! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks so much for the info y'all. Scott, especially for the info about modifying. I prefer the access over keeping stuff in the back like Bolter said. Always different missions and looking for the least amount of compromise possible. My wife really liked the bench seat in the '78 because she could lay down and take a nap. 

23 hours ago, graham28105 said:

Thanks so much for the info y'all. Scott, especially for the info about modifying. I prefer the access over keeping stuff in the back like Bolter said. Always different missions and looking for the least amount of compromise possible. My wife really liked the bench seat in the '78 because she could lay down and take a nap. 

Sooner or later I'm going to retrofit the newer buckets and get rid of my bench seat... they offer so much more utility.  I never thought about in-flight napping, but I suppose she could crawl back in the back with both seats out and stretch out, but at a risk of levitating with some turbulence!  ;)  I've carried more pilots n paws dogs in the back of my plane than people in the last few years, so I would love to permanently delete the bench.

To aid in my wife's future napping, I grabbed some auto junkyard headrests to retrofit to my future custom Mooney seats.  7-series BMW's have folding "wings" on their headrests that can be deployed to make a bit of a cradle for an unconscious head, to keep it from rolling off to the side and doing the violent rock concert head bob.  I got a pair, and want to adapt/recover to match my future seats.  This should work pretty well with a reclined seat, too, and I plan to make them work in front or rear seats.  Just one idea to help add utility to our great planes!  

• Like 1

Just now, Eastern mooney 201 said:

I have a 1981 M20J, Is it possible to change the bench seat to the two buckets seat that we can fold down. It will be very usefull when it’s time to bring golf club or bikes. If someone can help me with that.

tks

Yes,

Incredibly expensive if you can find them for sale…

fortunately,

There is a method to fold the bench seat’s back down… there is an older thread around here for that…

Best regards,

-a-