iPad yoke mount

Lee Yeilding

On our 2005 Ovation, I mount my iPad Air4 (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP828?locale=en_US) with this RAM holder:  https://rammount.com/products/ram-hol-ap23u 

I have to mount the holder upside-down, but the iPad fits perfectly inside the yoke, and all the buttons are accessible.   

I'd love to have more screen but went with a mini because it's the "correct" size for a Mooney yoke.   I know others have done it though so sorry I am not any help.  The difficulty is getting the correct angle without interference with or obscuration of other things.   Seems like you have to space it higher than the yoke by maybe 2-3 inches to get it right. 

I also use the RAM Mount, but I also bought a couple of extension arms.  So I was able to play around with the exact position and angle it a bit.  So my iPad looks a lot like you're holding yours in the picture, but it's resting just a little higher so I can still grab the yoke with out any issues. 

When using the trim I occasionally will tap the screen and get a menu to pop up, but not a biggie and the more you fly with it in that position it becomes more familiar and you tap it a lot less.

NOTE: If this is your first time attaching a yoke mount, take a moment to look at where you position the actual grip/mount on the yoke pipe.  Be sure that when you turn the yoke when it is FULL IN that that the screw handle does not snap off anything that's sticking out of the panel.  

On 9/22/2022 at 12:17 AM, Lee Yeilding said:

earthbound, which base is best for the ram mount?

I use this base on the control wheels (and roll cage above the compass) - https://rammount.com/products/ram-b-408-75-1u 

Then a short double-socket b-size arm connected to the holder:

IMG_5636.jpeg.fe7781b4184e0f8f4017027fbe94d14c.jpeg

Easy to adjust and remove.  Works a treat. 

The thing I found most useful is the articulated arm.

https://rammount.com/collections/socket-arms-b-size/products/rap-b-200-2u

With this, I run the arm under the yoke, and then tilt the top away, so when I look down, I am viewing the screen at 90 degrees.   I will get a picture later.

7 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

I run the arm under the yoke

I originally did that.  But found that if I relocated the mounting ball on the back of the iPad holder and used the short extender arm, I could do a little zig zag above the yoke.  This way you don't keep whacking the mount as you put thing or move things on your lap.

6 hours ago, PeteMc said:

I originally did that.  But found that if I relocated the mounting ball on the back of the iPad holder and used the short extender arm, I could do a little zig zag above the yoke.  This way you don't keep whacking the mount as you put thing or move things on your lap.

The problem I had going over the top it, I rotated the clamp a bit to put the iPad closer to the right upright, and with the short extension, both ends have to more though the same plane.  So the iPad (Mini in my case) can't lay flat, it angles.

13 hours ago, PeteMc said:

My bad...  That should say short estensionS.  I have two short extensions to get the zig zag.  Yes, one short or long might reach, but not to be able to position it correctly.

Yeah, with the different aircraft I fly, I have all three extension sizes.

16 hours ago, PeteMc said:

My bad...  That should say short estensionS.  I have two short extensions to get the zig zag.  Yes, one short or long might reach, but not to be able to position it correctly.

How do you connect the two short extensions together?

37 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

How do you connect the two short extensions together?

With the Ram Double Ball Connector.  They have multiple sizes, so be sure to get the right one for your extension arms.  (Link is for the B size.)

https://rammount.com/collections/popular-components-b-size/products/ram-b-230u#

1520220573_RAMDoubleBallConector.jpg.35c7efb53e4c7ba9e6afa7c0d0910a6d.jpg

On 9/20/2022 at 1:33 PM, Lee Yeilding said:

Can anybody recommend a yoke mount for a standard iPad, 10.2" screen I believe?  the iPad is too wide to fit in between the yoke without a little "wiggle" to get nested below where your forefingers would rest on the yoke.  

IMG_7854.JPG

IMG_7853.JPG

Lee,

You may have failed to mention the particular yokes you have…

They are slightly different than all of the others….  :)

Mr. Brown is showing his awesome leather covered yokes as well!

Best regards,

-a-