Fair Price For My Mooney?

Peter Rejto

Is it appropriate to ask for help here in determining what a fair price in the USA might be for my N registered '78 M20J (which happens to be in Australia)?

I've decided to sell this plane. Selling in Australia will likely require conversion to VH registry which is not inexpensive. So, the thought of returning it to the USA, or marketing it in the USA, has a certain appeal.  I'm finding it quite hard to know what price it might bring.

I won't post any details of the aircraft until I get some feedback as to whether asking for this help is okay!

Thanks in advance!

Peter

Thanks Art. I've written and will see what transpires.

If anyone on the forum would be willing to look over the specs for my aircraft and give me a private opinion I'd be extremely grateful. emai: prejto at oberlin.edu

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Peter Rejto said:

Thanks Art. I've written and will see what transpires.

If anyone on the forum would be willing to look over the specs for my aircraft and give me a private opinion I'd be extremely grateful. emai: prejto at oberlin.edu

Thanks!

I have Jimmy’s guide for the F model.  It’s useful and self explanatory if you can get it for the J.  Start watching Controller, Trade a Plane and Barnstormers for similar models if you’re not already.  There a nice 78 on Skywagons now.  Engine time and avionics seem to create the biggest variations.  

Jimmy's value guide is listed in Mooney Flyer (online Mooney Magazine).

There is also VREF.  Either get a subscription or see if someone will run a value for you.

Also, look at Trade a Plane and Controller and even Barnstormers for current planes for sale to compare.

Pinecone, I must be blind, but have searched high and low for Jimmy's guide on The Mooney Flyer site and a few recent back issues with no luck. Perhaps he isn't updating this any longer?

Anyway, I hadn't realized that as an AOPA member I could use VREF for free! I have a better sense now of the current market value in the USA.

Thanks all!

Peter