Looking for seat track pins

WAFI

4 hours ago, WAFI said:

Not sure what the official name it is but I'm looking for a set of seat track pins that keep the seats from coming out. Does anyone know the size and length I need? I don't trust cotter pins...

Some people use Clevis pins, others use bolts with a lock nut. I don't know the size off hand. The Clevis pin with a hitch pin clip is easier to work with in my opinion.

• Like 1

The Mooney solution of a screw, two bushings and a locknut was too much hardware for me. I replaced them with a screw, two threaded standoffs and a lockwasher. #8 machine screw if I recall correctly. Works great, and easy to remove and install with just a screwdriver.

I have hitch pins and occasionally they come out, maybe we are hitting them with our feet?

The cotter pins work, the seat won’t go too far with them in

I don’t think I have ever seen a 5/32 quick release pin but if anybody finds a source I’m interested, like to try that myself 

I thought I could find a 5/32 safety pin but no luck, just cotter and hitch pins so far

30 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I have the equivalent of the Cessna stop pins, like this:

Cessna Seat Stop Kit

only with safety pins instead of cotter pins, so they're easy to pop in and out.   Makes removing/replacing the seats a breeze.

Cowling-Safety-Pin.jpg

What’s the point of the bracket? Also where do u get these

12 hours ago, 201Steve said:

What’s the point of the bracket? Also where do u get these

The bracket goes over the seat rail and stops the seat.

A web search on "Cessna seat stop" brings up a few options, but I think they come from McFarlane:

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/products/product/SEAT%20STOP%20KIT%201/

The safety pin is just the usual that you can get at just about any hardware store or in the aviation aisle at Lowes or Home Despot.    You can get the clevis pins there, too, and the "bracket" is just a little piece of sheet metal that can be fabricated pretty easily.   If somebody wanted to put their own together it wouldn't be very difficult.

6 hours ago, hammdo said:

Only quick release pins I found -- 5/32 but a bit long:

http://store.erdmanautomation.com/98404A103-Quick-Release-Pin-532-Dia-1-Useable-Length_p_269.html

shipping is very high though

I’d say they are a good length, but shipping starting at $40 for ground for four pins is nuts.

49 minutes ago, hammdo said:

Four 1” pins about $5 ea, shipping about $10, total $34.

I didn’t go measure, but gut says 1” will be fine.

Now to hope the holes aren’t wallowed out, because I didn’t measure that either.

Oh, being a sail shop they should be 316 SS not 304 SS, should bees don’t make honey though 

Read the description says 18-8 which is 304. Fine cause I don’t sail the Mooney in salt :)

14 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Wow, y’all like to spend money.  These are about 50 cents each at your local hardware store.  You need 4.

B59A8927-15EA-4FC4-9BF2-A3A8B55CE6AB.jpeg

I have them in my airplane, occasionally they come out. You figure that out when the seat goes too far and you have to put it back in the tracks, no big deal, but annoying as everyone has to get out etc. I’ve taken to pushing them in all the way and that has seemed to help. I do like the quick release feature though and why I’m going to give the quick release pins a go, too bad the one with the button isn’t available.

I also draw a line with a sharpie on the seat track prior to removing them, makes finding the hole a lot easier on reinstallation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 11:31 AM, WAFI said:

Not sure what the official name it is but I'm looking for a set of seat track pins that keep the seats from coming out. Does anyone know the size and length I need? I don't trust cotter pins...

Curious why you don’t trust cotter pins . Very cheap and do the job .

1 hour ago, OR75 said:

Curious why you don’t trust cotter pins . Very cheap and do the job .

Simple, I sheered one off trying to adjust my seat in a Piper back in flight school. Try flying with you seat not locked into the track, it makes for a fun time.

I probably couldn't do it again if I tried but its always in the back of my mine.

Wow, y’all like to spend money.  These are about 50 cents each at your local hardware store.  You need 4.
B59A8927-15EA-4FC4-9BF2-A3A8B55CE6AB.jpeg.ac00310c4b8e74714408d2b2cc986cde.jpeg

I used these in the past and when I had it in for an annual at a MSC they replaced them with cotter pins. Is there anywhere it is specified what can be used?

I would love quick removals, especially when I need to get the co-pilot’s seat out for that special someone who takes up more real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 2