Mooney M20F LASAR flap gap & aileron seal kits.

MtnMann

• MtnMann changed the title to Mooney M20F LASAR flap gap & aileron seal kits.
29 minutes ago, Bryan G said:

I have a 1967 M20F, how did you find out you have a C wing? If I can verify it would fit my Mooney…where do you live?

A wing swap should be recorded in the log books…

It isn’t an ordinary event where C wings got put on an M20F at the factory….

If you want to see all the different parts between a C wing and an f wing… the parts manual has a nice way of pointing out the small differences…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

The C wing has less fuel capacity - for one. But also, only the ‘67 F wings have a twist towards the tip. That twist requires slightly different rigging of the elevator which means a bellcrank  for the elevator linkage has different  dimensions than the one used on a straight wing. That’s what ultimately made me realize the difference. My ‘67 F, when rigged by the book, would fly straight and level with the elevator slightly pitched. I had to rig it out of spec to get it to fly true. In order to do that, one of the heim joints on the bellcrank was extended just beyond the safety hole on the threads - which I knew meant something wasn’t right. That’s when the lightbulb went on and I looked up the part number on the bellcrank and sure enough, ‘67 has a different part number from all the other straight wing F’s. The twisted wing was not a good idea. It slowed the airframe down and they did away with that idea the next year. My ‘67 F with a C (straight) wing was probably the fastest airframe of all ‘67 F’s!

This wing change was done after a gear up landing totaled the original wing. Logbook entry was vague and didn’t mention that the wing was not an F model. No part number was given. Previous owner passed so when I bought it, the mystery began. It took a few years to figure it all out. 

• Like 1