Erratic oil pressure

Browncbr1

Hey everyone.    I’ve got what appears to be erroneous oil pressure readings.   The OEM garwin oil pressure gauge is steady in the green, but the jpi gets erratic spikes.  

I have cleaned and re-terminated the connections at the sensor.  I looked for chaffed wires and made sure the db plug is secure in the back of the edm display. 

anyone have any ideas of other things I should check before dropping $300 on a new sensor?

932CF177-9C1C-4F29-B53C-700585D3B8C4.png

11 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

Hey everyone.    I’ve got what appears to be erroneous oil pressure readings.   The OEM garwin oil pressure gauge is steady in the green, but the jpi gets erratic spikes.  

I have cleaned and re-terminated the connections at the sensor.  I looked for chaffed wires and made sure the db plug is secure in the back of the edm display. 

anyone have any ideas of other things I should check before dropping $300 on a new sensor?

932CF177-9C1C-4F29-B53C-700585D3B8C4.png

I had my jpi do that before too.  Mine was fluctuating +\-5psi though, not as bad as yours.  Eventually I installed a snubber just before the sensor and it stopped, however it could have just as likely been an air leak in the connection that was fixed when I installed the snubber.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I had my jpi do that before too.  Mine was fluctuating +\-5psi though, not as bad as yours.  Eventually I installed a snubber just before the sensor and it stopped, however it could have just as likely been an air leak in the connection that was fixed when I installed the snubber.

Thanks for the advice.  Yea, I should check the fittings a little closer.   Any recollection on which snubber fitting you used?

@Browncbr1
Yeah it’s an omega 1/8npt snubber for light oil.  I think if you Google that it’ll come up.  

Was it stable before or has it done this the whole time you had the jpi?

I talked to jpi and they said it probably wasn’t the sensor as they don’t die like that.  They suggested emi like some kind of bad ground or unshielded p lead.  However the snubber fixed it.  Like I said, it could just have been a connection got fixed when I installed the snubber.  The snubber is an npt fitting and the oil lines are flared, so you need an adapter on both sides.  1/8npt to 37 degree flare. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

@Browncbr1
Yeah it’s an omega 1/8npt snubber for light oil.  I think if you Google that it’ll come up.  

Was it stable before or has it done this the whole time you had the jpi?

I talked to jpi and they said it probably wasn’t the sensor as they don’t die like that.  They suggested emi like some kind of bad ground or unshielded p lead.  However the snubber fixed it.  Like I said, it could just have been a connection got fixed when I installed the snubber.  The snubber is an npt fitting and the oil lines are flared, so you need an adapter on both sides.  1/8npt to 37 degree flare. 

Thanks man.  No, it never did this until a couple weeks ago.  It was always very stable before.  I think I’ll pull the oil hose, make sure it’s clear and put back together.  

10 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Thanks man.  No, it never did this until a couple weeks ago.  It was always very stable before.  I think I’ll pull the oil hose, make sure it’s clear and put back together.  

Jpi also tried to help me with a software update that I did myself but it didn’t help.

Any npt fittings need pipe thread seal, but flare fittings don’t.  But look for nicks or bends in them.

• Like 1