Pirep on Don Maxwell Annual

T. Peterson

I have a 1979 231 that I bought in February of this year. The airplane had sat in a New Mexico hangar for 6 years, so I was a little nervous about this my first annual, even though the airplane has to date performed admirably with a 100% dispatch rate. 
I took the airplane to Mr. Maxwell on August 24 and received it back on September 13. After about 10 days I received a written quote listing about 36 discrepancies. On the phone Mr. Maxwell went over each one. He was very patient and professional. I asked him to fix it all. Two items were not repaired as we are waiting on parts, but fortunately neither affects airworthiness. The final bill was a little over 5000.00 and a couple of hundred below his estimate.

My wife and I left his shop in Longview Texas and immediately commenced our vacation, flying directly to our eldest son’s home in Dexter MO. The next day we flew to our youngest son’s home in Sellersburg, IN. The airplane has performed flawlessly and I am very grateful.

I enthusiastically recommend Mr. Maxwell and his team. I am pleased with the quality, pricing and timeliness of the work. I also very much enjoyed visiting with Mr. Maxwell, a very gentle-spoken and knowledgeable man.

Torrey 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, T. Peterson said:

I have a 1979 231 that I bought in February of this year. The airplane had sat in a New Mexico hangar for 6 years, so I was a little nervous about this my first annual, even though the airplane has to date performed admirably with a 100% dispatch rate. 
I took the airplane to Mr. Maxwell on August 24 and received it back on September 13. After about 10 days I received a written quote listing about 36 discrepancies. On the phone Mr. Maxwell went over each one. He was very patient and professional. I asked him to fix it all. Two items were not repaired as we are waiting on parts, but fortunately neither affects airworthiness. The final bill was a little over 5000.00 and a couple of hundred below his estimate.

My wife and I left his shop in Longview Texas and immediately commenced our vacation, flying directly to our eldest son’s home in Dexter MO. The next day we flew to our youngest son’s home in Sellersburg, IN. The airplane has performed flawlessly and I am very grateful.

I enthusiastically recommend Mr. Maxwell and his team. I am pleased with the quality, pricing and timeliness of the work. I also very much enjoyed visiting with Mr. Maxwell, a very gentle-spoken and knowledgeable man.

Torrey 

Yeah, he’s a keeper.  I had a similar experience 8 years ago when I bought mine.  I’d take it back there in the future even though it’s a long haul for me.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 5:42 PM, T. Peterson said:

Torrey 

I thought good, fast, cheap was a myth.  It sounds like Mr. Maxwell sets a very high benchmark for his colleagues.

• Like 2