1975 F trim wheel adjustment

In my recently purchased F, the trim and indicator need significant adjustment. In full back trim, i still descend at 90 kts no matter how i try to slow it down. 

I can just open it up and readjust it but I'd like to adjust it to factory specifications. Is there a way to do this without jackstands and that weird wing tool?

2 hours ago, Teddyhherrera said:

In my recently purchased F, the trim and indicator need significant adjustment. In full back trim, i still descend at 90 kts no matter how i try to slow it down. 

I can just open it up and readjust it but I'd like to adjust it to factory specifications. Is there a way to do this without jackstands and that weird wing tool?

This one needs a little more help….

Are we talking trim indicator…

Trim…

or WnB…

Most often, new owners find their trim hits the stop…. But doesn’t seem to be fully trimmed…. (Sound familiar?)

Open the access panel to find out what is going on…

often… the grease being used turns to rocks over the years…

Chances are… the trim isn’t hitting a stop… it’s hitting a stone….

Clean out the old grease… fill in with new grease….

There are both a gear box and a Jack screw back there…. Same grease.

The Jack Screw is an easy place to start…

Next step… the indicator is not a very robust system after several decades go by… check to see if it is working properly and the pointer is still in place… many pointers go missing…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

It is often said…

You can’t get enough trim in a Mooney…

Use caution with this statement… adjust the balance with real people… you immediately find that you have plenty of trim….

You won’t want any more… trimming into a stall condition would be bad….

PP thoughts only, not a CFI….

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, Teddyhherrera said:

You need to take it to a shop with the correct travel board, inclinometer, manual and knowledgeable maintainers to get this checked out.

If it were mine, I’d take it to a knowledgeable Mooney maintainer with the correct tools and figure out what’s going on. The trim should never get out of adjustment unless something is broken or someone messed with it and either didn’t get the torque tube set back right or installed a part incorrectly. There are bungee springs that have to be set right as well as setting up the actuating mechanism. Since the airplane is new to you and you don’t know how it got messed up, it would be wise to have it checked out.

Skip

• 2 weeks later...