KLN90B help...

bcg

I came across this KLN90B to use in place of my dead one until I can schedule the GPS175 install. Unfortunately though, it bolts up and allows me to set the altimeter then goes to this screen and I can't seem to get it to go away. Nothing I touch, push or turn gets any response. Does anyone have any ideas?

PXL_20220913_171707637.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I'm sure this does not help at all, because you know far more about these units than I do but the manual states that if this message appears it means the unit was installed with a remote GPS CRS switch.  I don't suppose it is still hooked up to that remote switch?  That may be why it won't do anything for you.  It needs to be connected to that remote switch.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

I'm sure this does not help at all, because you know far more about these units than I do but the manual states that if this message appears it means the unit was installed with a remote GPS CRS switch.  I don't suppose it is still hooked up to that remote switch?  That may be why it won't do anything for you.  It needs to be connected to that remote switch.  Just a thought.

What manual did you find this in?  I wasn't able to find the error in either the Pilot's manual or the Installation manual.

There actually is a switch on the annunciator panel in the plane and it was doing the same thing there.  I tried that switch in both positions with no luck on either one. 

I did pull some breakers when I was messing with it to prevent running the battery down so I'm wondering now if maybe I inadvertently pulled one that needed to be on.  I'll try it again in the morning with everything on like normal and see if it makes a difference.  If not, I guess I'll try a factor reset and see if that helps.  I tried resetting it on teh bench but evidently, it needs a GPS signal to perform one and I don't have an antenna here to hook up to it, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, bcg said:

What manual did you find this in?  I wasn't able to find the error in either the Pilot's manual or the Installation manual.

There actually is a switch on the annunciator panel in the plane and it was doing the same thing there.  I tried that switch in both positions with no luck on either one. 

I did pull some breakers when I was messing with it to prevent running the battery down so I'm wondering now if maybe I inadvertently pulled one that needed to be on.  I'll try it again in the morning with everything on like normal and see if it makes a difference.  If not, I guess I'll try a factor reset and see if that helps.  I tried resetting it on teh bench but evidently, it needs a GPS signal to perform one and I don't have an antenna here to hook up to it, unfortunately.

It is figure 3-23 on page 3-7

Last part of paragraph 11

006-08773-0000-KLN-90B-Pilots-Guide.pdf (bendixking.com)

9 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

It is figure 3-23 on page 3-7

Last part of paragraph 11

006-08773-0000-KLN-90B-Pilots-Guide.pdf (bendixking.com)

Thanks, I somehow missed that in the Pilot's manual.  So it looks like Pin 33 is what switches modes, the question is how is it switched?  I would bet that a voltage signal is sent to the pin to toggle between the 2 or, one mode is + and the other is -, I just don't know what the voltage or values should be and I'm afraid to experiment with it and releasing the magic smoke...

Untitled.jpg

Maybe this is my answer, I'm going to try applying ground and see what it does.  I'll let you guys know if the magic smoke escapes or not. 

I'm just posting this as I work through in case someone else needs help with a 30 year old GPS later...lol

Untitled.jpg

Grounding Pin 33 isn't working but connecting 21 to 33 does so, I'm guessing there's something wrong with this unit. I'm going to try it in the plane one more time just to be sure and if it still doesn't work with the switch, I'll pull the avionics cover panel off and connect 21 to 33 until I can get the Garmin 175 installed. I guess if I do that it'll mean I can't fly RNAV for now.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Let’s invite @Alan Fox to the conversation…

He might be familiar with the old KLN90B…

He also knows a lot of GPSi that are a decade or two newer…

So, if the KLN is not recoverable… he may have other options to consider…

I hope you get this box to work out… my KLN90B must be on its last legs… :)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Let’s invite @Alan Fox to the conversation…

He might be familiar with the old KLN90B…

He also knows a lot of GPSi that are a decade or two newer…

So, if the KLN is not recoverable… he may have other options to consider…

I hope you get this box to work out… my KLN90B must be on its last legs… :)

Best regards,

-a-

I've actually already got a Garmin 175 that's going to replace it, I just need to get everything else nailed down and scheduled with the avionics guy.  I made it back to the plane this afternoon and put it back in with the same result as before so I'm going to pull the avionics access panel off and connect pins 21 and 33 so that I've got a GPS to use for the next month or so and then I'll drop it off to get everything upgraded.  I just want to make sure the avionics guy has all the parts in hand before we open anything up so he can get it turned around fairly quickly.

• Like 1