New M20C Owner- First plane

8 hours ago, redrider54 said:

Worth the hassle for me to bring it up there if I can't get my orders canceled?

Are you going up on a 1 year remote?  Or, 2-3 year accompanied tour?

I don’t see an Aero Club in the Force Support Squadron, regardless, the leadership up there might make accommodation for you to hangar on base and save you some dough.  

If it’s a 1 year remote, I might be reluctant to take it up there.  You can fly the heck out of it when you’re back on your mid-tour leave.  But, if you’re there for more than one year, do some diligent research.  Having the Mooney up there could open up a lot of the state to exploration, at least from late spring through early fall.  I’ve seen -40 temps in the winter up there.  That puts a whole new perspective winter ops… ADM becomes critical.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 47U said:

Are you going up on a 1 year remote?  Or, 2-3 year accompanied tour?

I don’t see an Aero Club in the Force Support Squadron, regardless, the leadership up there might make accommodation for you to hangar on base and save you some dough.  

If it’s a 1 year remote, I might be reluctant to take it up there.  You can fly the heck out of it when you’re back on your mid-tour leave.  But, if you’re there for more than one year, do some diligent research.  Having the Mooney up there could open up a lot of the state to exploration, at least from late spring through early fall.  I’ve seen -40 temps in the winter up there.  That puts a whole new perspective winter ops… ADM becomes critical.

Yeah it would be a 3-4 year accompanied. I'm honestly trying to get it canceled. We have always talked about getting an assignment there but the timing on this one is sooo poor that myself and my leadership are trying to get it turned off.  I know Elmendorf has an Aero club but Eielson doesn't. I highly doubt they would let a personal plane hangar on base since they don't allow GA on the airfield there.  

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

There are a few Mooneys in Alaska…

There are tons more tailwheel and float planes though…

Mostly because they get used like automobiles… :)

Sounds like you may want a second plane…

Best regards,

-a-

Yeah been searching though here seeing what people have had to say. I know it's not the ideal plane to be there but would make quick trips from Fairbanks to Anchorage and back. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Shadrach said:

If I were slotted to move to AK I would certainly want to have a plane while there. A Mooney would not be my first choice (I’d want something with the nose wheel in the back) but I’d make do.

Yeah totally agree. Just sucks that of course 2 weeks after I get everything all situated here I get hit with this info. It puts me in a bind if I can't get the orders canceled. I wouldn't want to turn around and try to sell it now. ughhh lol 

6 minutes ago, redrider54 said:

Yeah totally agree. Just sucks that of course 2 weeks after I get everything all situated here I get hit with this info. It puts me in a bind if I can't get the orders canceled. I wouldn't want to turn around and try to sell it now. ughhh lol 

Is it airworthy?  You might find a non-equity partner to keep it flying and offset costs while you're away.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 3:19 PM, redrider54 said:

There is a slight possibility that I may be moving to Fairbanks, AK now ( military and just found out Friday afternoon) so I'm kind of freaking out about what to do with the plane. This is such an unfortunate turn of events after I was just getting settled, within a few years of retirement and hoping I was done moving!

Anyone with Mooney experience in AK? Worth the hassle for me to bring it up there if I can't get my orders canceled?

I’ve flown around quite a bit of that part of the world in my Maule. Honestly I can’t remember a single place I landed that a Mooney wouldn’t have been fine, sure there are gravel bars etc., but long ago I believe almost any even remote town strips were improved so that an over grossed 205 or 6 could land and take off without beating itself up, sure they are gravel, but I’d say well manicured gravel. Even Tuktoyoktuk way up on the Arctic Ocean is regularly serviced by Beech 1900’s.

I stayed away from the real bush places because I was way out of my home range with zero contacts for maintenance and having an aircraft helicoptered out was way more than I was willing to pay. But there is no end of adventurers you can have in a Mooney up there. 

I have only been in July myself, gorgeous place, in July. My understanding is there are two seasons, July and Winter